What you get with this Offer
Also known as structural or substantive editing, developmental editing is about seeing the potential of a novel as well as what is already written, and helping the author build upon the new world they have created.
I've worked as a Developmental Editor for a number of years and have a small group of loyal clientele that I am now growing via People Per Hour and my independent business (www.acresofink.com). My job is to make sure every sentence pulses with like; to ensure that characters, plot, theme, structure, dialogue - everything that makes a novel work - all reach their full potential.
WHAT YOU GET WITH A DEVELOPMENTAL EDIT
- An honest, close read of your novel.
- Detailed feedback on:
-- novel pace and structure
-- narrative choices (including POVs)
-- theme effectiveness
-- characterisation and consistency, character arcs
-- plot arcs / development and any potential or perceived plot holes.
-- Basic copy-editing and proofreading, focusing on typing mistakes, grammatical errors, syntax, spelling and clarity of prose.
- A revised and polished copy of your manuscript using track changes (Microsoft Word).
- 8 years' experience of working as an editor
- Passionate about making novels reach their full potential
- Friendly and accommodating, with a genuine desire to help the author achieve their ambitions
- A top degree in English and American Literature
- Further qualifications from the SfEP (Society for Editors and Proofreaders)
- Award-winning short story writer and nominated novelist
- Spotless track record with clients
Custom projects are available upon request.
Get more with Offer Add-ons
I can developmentally edit / critique your manuscript (20,000 words)
Additional 1 working day+£80
I can developmentally edit / critique your manuscript (40,000 words)
Additional 3 working days+£160
I can developmentally edit / critique your manuscript (60,000 words)
Additional 5 working days+£240
What the Freelancer needs to start the work
I need an editable copy of your manuscript, preferably in MS Word (.doc etc.), as well as a brief description of your manuscript and its intended audience / demographic. If there are specific aspects of your manuscript you are concerned about, please highlight these also.
Kim did an excellent job editing my absolute monster of a novel. Her endless patience and insightful comments are much appreciated. I thoroughly recommend her work.