VAT Reclaim on house conversion

  • Posted:
  • Proposals: 7
  • Remote
  • #2427044
  • Expired
Anita Benge Accountancy Services Key Business Consultants LLPMd. Shahinur R.Nathan M.Mark A. + 2 others have already sent a proposal.
  • 12


Experience Level: Expert

I am a developer and have converted a house that I used to live in, into 2 houses and incurred vatable expenses of around £50,000. I am hoping to claim some of the VAT back on this. I need a quote to register me to be eligible to get the VAT back if this is applicable and also to complete the form. I will have all of the invoices recorded on either an Excel spreadsheet or SAGE.


New Proposal

Create an account now and send a proposal now to get this project.

Sign up

Clarification Board Ask a Question

  • Lauren K.

    Hi Oliver, unfortunately no, 5% (reduced rate) Vat is only applicable on certain services such as installing energy saving products and certain work for people over 60, converting a building into a house or flats or from one residential use to another, renovating an empty house or flat, home improvements to a domestic property on the Isle of Man - non of which apply to your project. The only way you could claim the Vat back truly would be for the ownership of the properties to be in your company. Thanks Lauren

  • Lauren K.

    Hi Oliver, was the property empty for 10+years before converting? If so, can you evidence this? If this is not the case, your project is not eligible for a VAT reclaim. Many thanks, Lauren

  • Lauren K.

    Hi Oliver, was the property empty for 10+ years before you began the conversion? If so, do you have evidence? If not, you will be unable to claim a VAT refund on this development. Thanks, Lauren

    Oliver S.13 Jun 2019

    Hi, no it was not empty for 10 years and was rented out for a period of time. Could I register for VAT through my limited company, claim back the VAT and charge myself 5% VAT. Would this be legal. thanks