I am a professionally trained mixed methods researcher (qualitative and quantitative), with a qualitative focus. I have ten years of experience working on academia, four of themmore...I am a professionally trained mixed methods researcher (qualitative and quantitative), with a qualitative focus. I have ten years of experience working on academia, four of them teaching qualitative research methods at a graduate level. I have also worked as a freelancer with non-profit organizations, communities, and government agencies. The disciplines I have worked on include social sciences, anthropology, public health and legal sciences, and the specific project goals have included community assessments, preliminary data collection, pilot works, as well as process and program evaluations. Some of the topics I have worked on include eating and physical activity habits, vaccination preferences, mindfulness, violence, discrimination, urban conflict resolution, and institutional evaluation.
My skills include research design, instrument development, grant writing, data collection (interviews, focus groups, observation, and other tool specific methods), data analysis, report development and sharing of results to a variety of stakeholders (e.g. community members, funders, decision-makers). As a graduate instructor of qualitative methods I have provided input and feedback to numerous graduate and postgraduate students, as well as colleagues, on qualitative research design and implementation.
I have experience with NVivo, Atlas.ti and Dedoose as qualitative analysis software, and work primarily with SPSS for quantitative work. My qualitative toolkit includes, in addition to interviewing and focus groups, concept mapping, PhotoVoice and culture consensus analysis; for certain projects these methodological tools are best to achieve the desired goals and I am happy to discuss them with potential clients.
I work equally well on both English and Spanish on all stages of research.
Specific issues that you may need help with and my skill-set is well suited to address:
- Questions about your research design: help refining research questions and finding the best approaches to addressing them in a rigorous way. I can provide input of both qualitative and quantitative research methodologies that can be utilized (including some you may have never heard about!).
- Strengthening of grant proposals: if you need an extra pair of eyes to read your grant proposal, find possible weaknesses and provide feedback on how to strengthen it, I can do that work to help the odds of success rise.
- Development of the best instruments for data collection: good data starts with good instruments. I can help you structure good interview and focus group guides, and will guide you through best data collection practices.
- Data collection: in case you also need help with actual data collection, I have vast experience with in-depth interviewing and focus group facilitation. I have experience addressing sensitive topics and working with vulnerable populations. I can collect data equally well in both English and Spanish.
- Analysis of your data: I can help you define a good analytic strategy for your data based on your research questions, as well as do actual data analysis. I have experience with multiple data analysis tools, both qualitative and quantitative, and a variety of research methodologies.
- Reporting on your research: I have broad experience reporting research findings to a variety of audiences. I can provide feedback on existing reports, or can write reports based on the existing research.
- Manuscript revision: if you are struggling with a manuscript, I can read and provide feedback to strengthen your work before it goes out.