After being told the articles would be with us prior to the deadline, I was disgruntled to be ignored on deadline day when I asked for the articles. The day after deadline day, straight after requesting a refund, I received a message saying that the articles had been sent the day before via a Gmail account but there must have been a problem for me not to have received them. I was promised to have them by 12 o'clock. By 12.45, I received the 4 articles I had requested from the Gmail account that was supposedly used the day before. Once opening the 4 articles, I realised the 2 of the 4 articles were exactly the same, and I mean word for word, exactly the same. I requested the missing article to be sent immediately. An hour later, the missing article arrived, riddled with typos.
It seems to me that the articles I requested were all written the morning AFTER deadline day and I was sent 2 of the same articles to bide some time to write the 4th. This all resulted in me having to explain to an unhappy client, why there was such a delay.
However, typos aside, the articles were written well and I enjoyed the style.