- Views 987
- Sales 9
What you get with this Hourlie
Do you want visitors to your website to see the padlock symbol on your site, rather than a Not Secure message? (Google Chrome will be displaying this on some insecure webpages soon)
I'm a UK-based web developer with a particular focus on helping to secure websites. If you have bought an SSL certificate (or would like advice on getting one) and you need some help actually getting it installed onto your site, a new certificate or a renewal, this service and the options available are for you.
- Take the SSL certificate you've bought (or advise you on buying one)
- Fully install it onto your hosting or server
- Test to make sure the certificate is working on your hosting or server.
Installing an SSL certificate results in your site being CAPABLE of running via a secure SSL / HTTPS connection. It doesn't convert your website to actually USE the certificate, nor does it force all website's visitors to use the secure version of your site. Every website is different, so the amount of work required to make a site use an SSL certificate varies. This is offered as a separate add-on service, so if you don't need it you don't have to pay for it.
Some further useful advice:
It's not just important to have your site running on SSL / HTTPS. It's vital that the QUALITY of your host's or server's SSL setup is good. You may have heard of Heartbleed or POODLE - just two vulnerabilities that have affected some supposedly secure servers in the past. So the certificate itself is a big step, but making sure that the SSL setup on your hosting / server is as strong and vulnerability-free as possible is also vital.
As an additional service I can run a full, in-depth audit on your site and hosting/server SSL setup using one of the world's leading reporting tools. I will carry out up to an hour's work to fix things in the report that are possible to fix on your hosting/server AND for anything I can't fix directly or that's outside the time allowed, I'll provide a list of remaining issues. It's up to your host whether or not they can/will fix any issues that can't be fixed directly, but you'll be able to make an informed decision about your hosting.
I hope I can help you build the security of your site.
What the Seller needs to start the work
To get started, I'll need:
- your SSL certificate file (usually a text file you get from your certificate provider) or I can advise on where to buy a certificate. This service doesn't include the cost of the certificate
- the chain file, if provided by or available from your SSL certificate provider
- full access to your web hosting control panel (eg cPanel or your host's own control panel), or your VPS or dedicated server (eg SSH)
- if using web hosting, confirmation that your web hosting allows you to add SSL certificates; you might need to change which plan you're on
If you'd like me to convert your site to use SSL, I'll also need:
- access to the admin area of your site (e.g. WordPress, Drupal, OpenCart) if it's on a system like that
- FTP or SFTP access to the files that make up your site
If you'd like me to audit the quality of your SSL setup, I don't need anything in addition to the above.