- London, GB
- £7 /hr
- Available now
I am a freelance consultant, writer, blogger and researcher specialising in business use of technology. Themes covered include enterprise collaboration, intranets, knowledge management,more...I am a freelance consultant, writer, blogger and researcher specialising in business use of technology. Themes covered include enterprise collaboration, intranets, knowledge management, social business and crowdsourcing.
I have twenty years experience of working on projects for professional services firms. Recent activities include SharePoint evaluation for a legal services firm, advising on an e-learning on social media use for lawyers, authoring a SharePoint Best Practices and the development of strategy and then business lead for a new iteration of a top 50 UK law firm website.
I write extensively. My copy is always punchy and can be formal or more informal in tone as requested. It is always thoroughly researched.
I regularly blog and write research reports for the Intranet Benchmarking Forum whose members include BT,Aviva, Microsoft, Verizon, Adobe and Kraft Foods.
I am also blogging for its sister organisation the Digital Workplace Forum.
I write the annual report for the global Intranet Innovation Awards, organised by Step Two Designs, a global thought leader in the intranet space, as well as work on other publications relating to best practices around intranets.
I have recently co-authored a book on Crowdsourcing with renowned Australian futurist and author Ross Dawson. The book is called "Getting Results from Crowds".
I also have an online column for UK trade publication Outsource as well as articles appearing in the print edition.
On a completely separate note I have also had several books
published for UK publishers Dorling Kindersley, owned by Penguin Group. These are movie tie-in books aimed at children in the Essential Guide series. Movies covered include Cars 2, Prince of Persia and Flushed Away.
Area Covered: UK
Company Name: Two Hives Ltd
Job Title: Intranet Innovation Awards Report Author
Company: Step Two Designs
Description: I write and edit the report which accompanies Step Two Design's annual Intranet Innovation Awards. Published each Autumn, the report (produced in Adobe FrameMaker) is packed with case studies and screen shots of some of the world's most innovative intranets. I have also authored other publications, including a SharePoint Best Practices guide.
Job Title: Research and Knowledge Lead at IBF
Company: Intranet Benchmarking Forum
Description: I currently under take a variety of projects for the Intranet Benchmarking Forum, including writing research reports and leading webinars on HR intranets, social intranets and intranet strategy and governance. I am part of the benchmarking team (working on a variety of global intranets from Fortune 500 companies or equivalent). I also blog for both the Intranet Benchmarking Forum and its sister organisation, the Digital Workplace Forum.
In 2011 I was the content producer for IBF 24 2011, an annual 24-hour broadcast whch showcases the world's best intranets and examples of the Digital Workplace. I also produced content for Paul Miller's forthcoming book "The Digital Workplace: How Technology is Liberating Work", published in March 2012.
Job Title: Freelance Knowledge Management & Online Collaboration Specialist
Company: Two Hives Ltd
Description: Experienced freelance online, KM, intranet and collaboration professional with nearly twenty years experiences in Professional Services firms including accounting, legal services and property.
Consulting at a strategic and operational level for a variety of internal and external-facing web environments including corporate websites, intranets, extranets, KM solutions, soclal platforms and content management.
Activities include roadmap recommendations, Knowledge reviews, requirements gathering, business requirements documentation, ad-hoc advisory, project co-ordination and content production.
Used to working closely with leadership functions, client-facing staff, IT development teams, business analysts and marketing professionals.
Have also undertaken professional writing and research into “2.0” themes.
Current and recent activities include:
- Client and consulting work
- Co-authoring a book with Paul Miller, CEO and founder of the Intranet Benchmarking Forum about “The Digital Workplace.”
- Content Producer for IBF 24 2011, a 24 hour online broadcast aimed at the global community of intranet professionals
- Co-authoring a book with Ross Dawson, futurist and author, about “Getting Value from Crowds” – the definitive guide to using crowdsourcing platforms
- Regular online columnist for Outsource magazine
- Carried out research for the Knowledge Leader’s Panel at the Managing Partner’s Forum (MPF)
In addition writing the text for several movie-tie in books from Dorling Kindersley – including Cars 2: The Essential Guide.
Job Title: Client Services Knowledge Manager
Company: BDO LLP
Description: Managing the global extranet programme for BDO International, and the UK client portal programme for BDO LLP. My team had operational responsibility for around 500 sites as well as programme development, working closely with the in-house IT team, client-facing teams, outsourcing department and marketing function to develop new solutions.
• Architected and implemented the global expansion of the programme from scratch
• Frequently the business lead on scoping requirements for new iterations and functionality
• Business lead on SharePoint Proof of Concept project (prior to firm’s Microsoft GEA license) running stakeholder workshops, requirements definition and producing recommendations
• Implemented extranet functionality and developed approaches which enabled exponential growth in the firm’s outsourcing arm, and also wrote requirements for new iteration in SharePoint
• Selected to manage the UK firm’s CRM system and related team through a period of transition
• Scoping, requirements production and launch of BDO UK’s alumni portal
• Successfully established the standard approach for project managing transfer of data for multi-locational global audits
• Implemented an internal controls system relating to audit quality for one member firm in preparation for successful government inspection
Job Title: Knowledge Manager
Company: BDO LLP
Description: Responsible for operational management; development and promotion of various systems feeding people, client and assignment data into the firm’s Intranet and Extranet programme; involvement in ad-hoc knowledge-related projects; design of new extranet modules and project management from conception to launch
• Designed taxonomy to support new deployment of Autonomy search
• Chosen to establish and manage the firms’ international extranet programme
• Selected for the team developing and designing the firm’s second and third reiteration of the Intranet
• Set up and established the firm’s Competitor Knowledge system
• Was the preferred choice to conduct a firm-wide Knowledge Review to establish departmental three year plan
• Spoke at ARK Group sponsored KM workshop event on taxonomy design
Job Title: Business Research Executive
Company: BDO LLP
Description: Writing in-depth research reports on sectors, topics, companies for internal and client use, using various business information sources
• Selected to research target for eventual firm merger
• Successfully developed firm’s Internet links and research intranet pages
• Wrote chapter of ICAEW-published guide to auditing the travel industry
• Early champion of Internet – internal presentations (e.g. giving staff and partners an insight into its importance and value to the firm)
Job Title: Co-author
Company: Advanced Human Technologies
Description: Researched and co-authored the book "Getting Results from Crowds: the definitive guide to using crowdsourcing to grow your business" with Ross Dawson, with some accompanying blogging activity.
Field of Study: Information Science
University / College: City University London
Degree: BA Hons 2:1
Field of Study: History
University / College: University of Manchester
Freelance consultant and writer specialising in intranets, KM, collaboration and social business