I am an experienced writer with 20 years' experience across a range of subjects having worked in communications roles in the public and private sector, professional associationsmore...I am an experienced writer with 20 years' experience across a range of subjects having worked in communications roles in the public and private sector, professional associations and trade associations, education and business. I am a postgraduate who can write to a high standard. I have worked on weekly, monthly and bi monthly publications, corporate publications, web content, marketing materials and press releases for B2B and B2C. I am happy to write original copy, rewrite copy for new formats or audiences, edit and proof read other work.
Area Covered: Any
Work Experience Summary:
2012 - present - part-time marketing and PR coordinator for an employee benefits and childcare company.
2011 - 2012 Freelance work for a local PR company on a project focussing on the childcare sector.
January 2007 - January 2008
Communications Manager, Heating & Hot Water Industry Council (HHIC)
- managing printed and electronic publications: principally launching a new quarterly publication HHIC Journal and weekly electronic HHIC News, with responsibility for writing, sourcing and editing copy and overseeing production
- developing the PR and communications strategy and reflecting the HHIC's vision and values through the development of relevant PR messages
- creating and delivering regular press communications
- developing and managing the HHIC consumer and corporate websites and marketing communications materials
May 2006 - January 2007
Communications Officer, East Staffordshire Borough Council
- writing and managing the production of the Council's monthly newspaper, ES News (distributed to 48,000 households) in liaison with an external agency and internal departments
- media liaison
- media service, including handling enquiries, writing press releases and organising media events and campaigns.
April 1999 - April 2006
Communications Officer, British Dietetic Association
- production of a number of regular printed publications for the association including a monthly magazine (Dietetics Today); a monthly recruitment bulletin and its associated website which accounted for up to 30% of the association's income; the association's main website; and a range of other publications and resources such as display stands and leaflets for national campaigns.
March 1998 - April 1999
Publicity Office Manager, University of Birmingham
Duties included the creation and use of marketing materials for several hundred higher education and leisure courses, liaising with the media to generate positive coverage for the School of Continuing Studies, writing and placing advertising, I raised the profile of the School and created a clear improvement in student recruitment through advertising and editorial across local and national media.
January 1997 - March 1998
Associate Editor, The Stakeholder, UCE Birmingham
Responsible for start up, editing, production and overall management of a new bi-monthly journal concerned with issues in public policy, developed with a former Member of Parliament. I successfully led the development and marketing of this new product, managing the whole business of the publication from developing a distribution database to editing, advertising, designing, pre-press production and administration. The Stakeholder was based at the University of Central England until its success led to a takeover by the Public Management Foundation and production moved to London.
September 1992 - January 1997
Editorial/Copy Assistant, Antiques Bulletin, Birmingham
Responsible for writing and designing feature articles and regular pages for a weekly magazine and, as the role developed, for proof reading all advertising copy.
Education Summary: Chartered Institute of Marketing Professional Diploma in Marketing (2004)
Postgraduate Diploma History of Art and Design (with distinction) (1998)
BA Joint Honours Literature and the History and Theory of Art (2(i)) (1992)