- Kilmarnock, GB
- £55 /hr
- Available now
A degree qualified Chartered Quantity Surveyor with twenty years experience, I have been employed for the last six years as Commercial Manager with a UK main contractor carryingmore...A degree qualified Chartered Quantity Surveyor with twenty years experience, I have been employed for the last six years as Commercial Manager with a UK main contractor carrying out construction projects up to £70M. I have demonstrated my ability to deliver improved margins, positive cash flow, cost efficiencies and reduced project risks whilst at the same time preserving the company’s contractual positions and client relationships.
I have particular experience in claims preparation (extensions of time and loss and expense) and the commercial recovery of poorly performing projects.
Area Covered: Central Scotland
Job Title: Commercial Manager
Company: R&D Construction Group
Description: Main responsibilities:
• Led and managed the commercial team of up to eight surveying staff.
• Between 2009 and 2011, carried out the project commercial management for a £35M urban regeneration scheme.
• Carried out the estimating function for the business.
• Managed the incentive scheme for the 200+ directly employed labour operatives.
• Led the estimating function which contributed to R&D securing a £70M contract.
• Introduced a revised utility procurement procedure and preferred supplier arrangements that resulted in utility cost savings of 50% pa.
• Contributed to R&D"s profit before tax increasing by 400% between 2005 and 2007.
• Introduced an alternative labour incentive scheme and presented this to mass labour meetings and union representatives. The new scheme motivated the labour force, provided more cost certainty for R&D and allowed the identification of poorer performing operatives.
• Senior role representing R&D in adjudication and arbitration which recovered the position on two loss making Contracts.
• Negotiated recovery of £500K in legacy payments from utility companies.
Job Title: Senior Quantity Surveyor
Company: Melville Dundas
Description: MDL was a main contractor in the construction sector with a turnover of £120M GBP across commercial, industrial, leisure and residential sectors. Projects up to £30M GBP were undertaken.
• Carried out the Project Surveyor function including all procurement, preparation of internal and external valuations, recovery of variations, issue of all contractual notices and preparation of claims for loss and expense.
• Responsible for an Assistant Quantity Surveyor.
• Increased tender margin of 3% to a final margin of 16% as a result of negotiated gain share against target cost (Aircraft hanger - £3M).
• Increased tender margin of 3% to a final margin of 12% for a large scale flatted residential development (£11M) as a result of careful negotiation of Contractors Proposals.
• Prepared and implemented a Structured Training Plan for graduates embarking on the RICS Assessment of Professional Competence.
• Worked with the Regional Surveyor to develop a new Cost/Value reporting procedure.
Job Title: Quantity Surveyor
Company: East Ayrshire Council
Description: Provided pre- and post-contract professional quantity surveying services for the local government"s capital and revenue expenditure programme of £20Mpa.
• Preparation of budget estimates and cost plans
• Procurement route advice
• Preparation of bills of quantities
• Preparation of Employers Requirements and review of Contractors Proposals
• Main contract procurement
• Implementing spend profile strategies to meet strict annual expenditure targets
• Life cycle costing.
• Successful assignation of Contract following insolvency of Main Contractor
• Providing detailed cost plans and budget advice for £55M urban regeneration scheme.
Job Title: Quantity Surveyor
Company: Tozer Capita
Description: Assisted qualified surveyors to provide pre- and post-contract professional quantity surveying services for industrial, high tech manufacturing, banking and office sectors for projects up to £5M.
Attended university on a part time basis and obtained BSc (Hons) degree in Quantity Surveying.
Summary: Elected a Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors on 25 June 1999
Degree: BSc (Hons)
Field of Study: Quantity Surveying
University / College: Glasgow Caledonian University
Construction Consultant / Quantity Surveyor