- Seoul, KR
- $12 /hr
- Available now
Hello, I'm a professional English lover. I love the art of writing and the search for written perfection. English is my native language, and I'm extensively trained inmore...Hello, I'm a professional English lover. I love the art of writing and the search for written perfection. English is my native language, and I'm extensively trained in grammar, style, syntax, and punctuation. I received an automatic A in college for writing a five-page paper without a single grammatical or stylistic error. And, I'm a fan of the Oxford comma. (If you are not, I can edit them out for you!)
There are many individuals with similar skills, but I can guarantee that I am good at my job. And, my job is to use my skills to eliminate any potential errors in your work and save you from any embarrassing typos that I find way too often in all media. I only request that you specify whether you want proofreading (marking errors, making comments) or editing (fixing errors/organizational issues etc., making comments). I am incredibly flexible in the way I work; I can use different programs for completing various tasks, and I am happy to work with you to get the masterpiece you deserve whether it is academic, creative, business related, or personal.
After all, we are not writers. We are re-writers. We are storytellers. Even explaining how the shortening of telomeres affects aging is telling a story. I'm here to perfect that story.
To be specific, here are some examples of what I can find:
spelling, punctuation, grammar, and syntax errors
agreement errors, dangling modifiers
unnecessary words, repetition
misused commas and semi-colons
I vs. Me
active vs. passive voice
Also, I can comment for:
Point of view
The list goes on almost forever.
I can also handle Korean translations. I can easily translate from Korean to English, but I can also translate English to Korean if needed. I am very confident in my translations, as I have experience in the field and extensive knowledge and understanding of the language. I can effectively navigate between directly translating and translating for meaning.
Also, I am currently living in South Korea. So, I'm ideal if you want to get anything done overnight. I will be awake anyway. (As a side note, my photo is from my Alien Registration Card here, so it slightly resembles a mug shot. But I don't take selfies, so please regard it kindly.)
University at Albany, State University of New York - Albany, NY
· Bachelor of Arts in English with a minor in Korean Studies
· Overall GPA: 3.99/4.00
· Sigma Tau Delta - International English Honor Society Member
· Exchange Student at Ehwa Womans University (And yes, the university uses womans, not women's)
Certified in TESOL Professional Program (120 hours) (May 2016 - Global Training Academy)
Seoul National University Korean Language Center
· Completed Korean language levels 5 and 6 with excellent academic achievement awards
Participated in Speaking Contest
· Completed the Advanced Research Class with Presentations/Research Report
Conducted and completed research in Korean
Editing Internship with Professor Andrew Sangpil Byon – Albany, NY
· Edited for grammar, spelling, style, quality, and clarity of both Korean and English in two Korean books (Modern Korean Grammar, Modern Korean Grammar Workbook – Routledge 2017)
· Found and fixed awkward translations or mistranslations of Korean to English
· Corresponded and cooperated with Professor Byon to organize and produce top quality books
University at Albany Writing Center – Albany, NY
· Tutored and assisted students one on one in the craft of editing and writing
· Participated in weekly meetings to improve our staff, tutoring methods, and workplace
Fence Literary Magazine Internship– Albany, NY
• Prepared, organized, and conducted research in the field of literature and publishing
• Designed and produced detail-oriented intern manual
• Created and distributed marketing materials for current books
• Gained experience in the field of editing
BOCES: English as a Second Language Program (seasonal volunteer) – Norwich, NY
· Assisted ESL learners in practicing speech, grammar, and composition in English
I would like to highlight the work I did with Professor Byon. We worked closely every week for an entire year on the chapters he had written that totaled around 900 pages and two books. I was responsible for both English and Korean proofreading and editing, along with perfecting the translations. It was highly rewarding and fun. This is probably the best work I have done.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.
Proofreader, Editor, Korean English Translator