- Bognor Regis, GB
- £15 /hr
- Available now
Personable professional, with ten years plus experience, of high performance, Perl website development and testing. Detailed analysis and software development, designing for webmore...Personable professional, with ten years plus experience, of high performance, Perl website development and testing. Detailed analysis and software development, designing for web and script based applications. Equally effective at relationship building, program development, and team leadership. Combining twenty plus years of computer related experience. This covers operations, administration, networking, disaster recovery, software engineering,analysis, design quality assured testing with development on a number of platforms including various flavours of Unix, mainframe
and other operating systems.
Area Covered: perl,oracle,mysql,various flavours of unix
Job Title: Migration Consultant (Finished migrating legacy application(s) 3 systems successfully for Capita)
Company: BluePhoenix Solutions (NASDAQ: BPHX)
Description: Migration of legacy application from ICL mainframe sytems. Having originally done this over 10 years ago for the first time. It's a interesting prospect to employ modern techology and programing techniques to refresh these applications. Writing software to replicate legacy operating systems is possible using modern languages and programming techniques.
1) Created robust feasible designs and specifications, and test plans (regression tests) for code to provide the emulation of a mainframe operating system (2000+ functions) ICL VME and the associated system command language (SCL) operating environment.
2) Successfully migrated 3 of 3 Capita Life and Pensions formerly using the VME operating system to utilise this.
3) Constructed Test Harnesses to quality assure the environment that it simulates the (SCL) environment and enabled test plans to be prove the converted mainframe applications function and mirror results.
4) Developed and implemented PERL of an advanced nature, to support API calls to other external language modules, in COBOL and C++ also developed these COBOL and C++ modules to improve converted applications functionality.
Job Title: Software Engineer
Description: Worked with in and mentored and delegated in a RAD environment to a small team of support staff the duties involved with administration, performance tuning and troubleshooting of databases, operating systems, hardware, or general network issues. This involved me in the design, writing and documenting many of the site specific procedures. Provided on many occasions marketing advice and technical input on objective setting and the strategies for acquisition, retention and growth of users.
1) Infrastructure movement and conversion of a website hosted at a London ISP to in-house servers. This involved over time the transfer of web based applications to run on Linux based platforms.
2) Implementation of M.A.A.W.G (Messaging Anti-Abuse Working Group) standards and administration across entire Jobsite network of sites.
3) Introduced a new location system which is a sophisticated piece of code developed to a state where it can accurately resolve the locations input into specific postcodes. It does this by considering each location"s context against predefined rules.
4) Support and designing and writing and testing of CGI/PERL applications in Oracle PL/SQL and SQL using PERL and DBI for a major internet recruitment company"s websites.
5) Researched, developed and implemented the migration from Sun Solaris UNIX servers to Red Hat Linux platforms for both website application servers and Oracle database servers.
6) I undertook the conversion, and parallel testing of their original C program website applications converted to PERL CGI using DBI.
7) Support and designing and writing of CGI/PERL applications in Oracle PL/SQL and SQL using PERL and DBI for a major internet recruitment company"s website including the NHS recruitment website.
Job Title: Support Programmer (Systems Administrator).
Company: Mayfair Services LTD
Description: Writing of specialised UNIX scripts to dialup hand held terminals overnight in C++ and PERL.
Provided all technical support and systems administration requirements for 3 DGUX Servers and 2 SCO Open system servers including writing of bespoke UNIX shell, PERL, C and C++ programs
Written and amended programs in Microfocus Cobol used for both tobacco vending and related accounting systems.
Originally I joined to write and support Microfocus Cobol programs for a new tobacco system using hand held terminals. Due to changes in the company"s structure, that led me to be employed in a more technical role, where my previous experience had been more technical support focused. Later then I became responsible for the technical support, communications issues, and systems administration issues for 5 UNIX servers.
Job Title: Software Engineer
Company: Legacy Software Downsizing (Division Of NSC Programming)
Description: Due to my extensive knowledge in ICL systems to design, specify and write the programs for the migration of IDMSX applications to use relational database software. Participated in downsizing three ICL mainframe systems to run under the UNIX operating system. Designed and wrote various elements of toolkit software to downsize ICL applications systems to run on UNIX Systems written in embedded SQL using Oracle and Informix databases running on Sun Solaris. Converted COBOL based application systems to the UNIX platform. Examples of such conversions include:- 1. Converted their Financial System, and Contract Management processes including Budgeting, Accounts and Payroll from a series of series of online transaction screens running COBOL to Sun Sparc Server running ORACLE SQL and Micro-focus COBOL. 2. The Yellow Pages and White Pages Directory Enquiry Systems. This conversion involved migration of a VME based COBOL application running CAFS to a Sun UNIX System running Oracle SQL.
Education Summary: Professional Qualifications & Education
Courses Attended: (ICL Mainframes)
VME Communications. VME Networked Product Line.
VME Implementation and Support Part 2. VME Transaction Processing.
VME Loader. VME Multi Node Management.
VME Catalogue Facilities. Exploiting VME (SERIES 39).
VME Comms Diagnostic Facilities. OMAC and ORMA Tuning.
Courses Attended: (Other Systems)
SCO UNIX and Oracle Fundamentals. Courses in RTE-A and MPE (Hewlett Packard).
CAM and CFT Facilities. Using PXS.
Quality through defect prevention. DGUX Systems Administration.
DGUX Performance Tuning. DGUX Advanced Script Writing.
Novell Systems Administration. Novell Network Management/Managewise.
Introduction to Software Engineering. Advanced PERL Programming.
Oracle PL/SQL Programming. CompTia A+ Certification.
3 GCE A’ Levels English, Physics, Maths.
5 GCE O' Levels English, Technical Drawing, Maths, Physics, Geography.
General interest in computing and software development. Enjoy music, cinema,and have a keen interest in current affairs. Developing PHP Joomla based replacement website for Bognor based music and arts charity the-rox.
Migration Consultant, Perl Application Developer