- Banbury, GB
- £25 /hr
- Available now
I am an experienced writer/editor/communications manager with a proven track record over some 25 years within the corporate sector.
However, what does this really tell you aboutmore...I am an experienced writer/editor/communications manager with a proven track record over some 25 years within the corporate sector.
However, what does this really tell you about me - probably only half the story. OK - so I\'ve worked for some blue chip companies both on the payroll and as a contractor and I\'ve run my own business for the past 10 years.
But can I get key messages over to a wide and varied audience via a number of existing channels and oversee the development of new ones?
I believe I can.
For example while on cover with a London publications agency I \'floated\' around various accounts on a daily basis and covered everything from rail freight to life insurance. And during my time with a major UK telecomms company my bread and butter was making software and other hi-tech subjects readable, interesting and relevant to a company-wide audience of close to 200,000 people.
In more recent years I was asked by a client to teach his company\'s senior executives to \'write like journalists\' - and I had just four hours in which to change the writing habits of a lifetime. We not only managed it we turned it into a bespoke training product.
As a contractor for the past 10 years I also bring an outsider\'s perspective, a fresh outlook, new ideas and a proven ability to quickly adapt to a new working environment.
But don\'t take my word for it - call me for a chat and decide for yourselves if I might be the person you\'re looking for - not only to help you deal with peaks and troughs in demand but also to help you grow your business by bringing a whole wealth of creative communications experience to it at the same time.
Area Covered: UK-wide
Work Experience Summary: I am an extremely capable, dynamic and widely experienced communications manager, with extensive knowledge of different corporate environments and a fine record of achievement both as employee and contractor with a number of blue chip organisations. I combine considerable writing and editing expertise with a ready ability to grasp the necessary message, understand its audience and add significant creativity to the equation. I also make equally productive use of very well-developed presentation and training strengths and bring clear leadership to the management of teams and proper attention to the detail of budget preparation and monitoring. I am accustomed to operating under pressure, remaining calm and prioritising wisely.
1998 - present: RIVERSIDE COMMUNICATIONS
Providing a very high standard of editorial project management and consultancy in the area of both print and on-line publishing.
* Working across different subject specialisms for clients such as MERJS (a major London property management company) BT, National Grid, Eon UK, Energis, Chandler Gooding, Redwood Publications, PriceWaterhouseCoopers and British Energy.
* Covering all aspects of copywriting, layout and design, print procurement, photographic commissioning and direction and print procurement.
* Working reliably to project budgets and timescales while handling own business tax and VAT liabilities and associated administrative matters.
* Successfully bringing together two very different communities/communications channels as publications consultant for National Grid during its takeover of a major US gas and electricity distributor
1998 - present MAXIMUM IMPACT
* Drawing on both editorial expertise and commercial knowledge to put together highly bespoke written skills training for professional and business development
* Meeting the needs of a diverse range of corporate clients, including Legal & General Investment Management, BT, Savoy Hotels Group, BT Ethnic Minorities Network and National Grid
* Demonstrating well-directed and flexible presentation skills in the delivery of intensive training to groups of individuals with different levels of technical expertise
1996 - 1998 BT Media Relations Manager (BT Research & Development)
* Managing the often conflicting expectations of editorial boards, the budget provider, company sales & marketing and research & development communities and the corporate press office
* Preparing and managing publication budgets in excess of £250,000 and liaising regularly with the SMT in relation to both editorial and administrative decisions
* Leading and managing a variety of small teams, frequently involving collaboration with other communications managers in relation to resources
* Successfully raising the profile of the division through an aggressive media campaign in the UK and elsewhere, generating, writing up and placing the specialist material and responding appropriately to rapidly increased media demand for site visits
1983-1996 Reporter/Editor (BT R&D, BT Wholesale Networks, BT Corporate Relations)
* Transforming highly technical software and telecommunications material into accessible and relevant copy for websites and distribution to the company\'s diverse internal audience
* Adapting output to properly reflect and support the company\'s move from public ownership to a major role within the complex and competitive global IT marketplace
Education Summary: Education and qualifications
Certification: NCTJ Certificate in Journalism (Harlow College)
2 A Levels: English and Geography
6 O Levels: Including English and Mathematics
Key I.T. skills
Applications: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Quark Express, and Photoshop
Writer/Editor/Internal Communications Manager/Written Skills Trainer