- Upper Marlboro, MD, US
- £30 /hr
- Available now
My name is Meek Banks. I am writing to learn of any opportunities you might have for a savvy technical writer. I have a background in agile software development documentationmore...My name is Meek Banks. I am writing to learn of any opportunities you might have for a savvy technical writer. I have a background in agile software development documentation and instructional design.
I also have contracting and government experience, as well as an excellent eye for layout and design. I am a hard working professional with a very pleasant office demeanor. I can provide outstanding official references, as well as samples of my work to include:
Demonstration Videos (Adobe Captivate)
Quick Reference Guides
Release Notes (Coming Soon/What's New Documentation)
Internal Process Documents
Generally speaking, as a writer, I am a sort-of jane-of-all-trades, having produced marketing collateral, media releases and advertising copy through my company PocketScribe.com.
Area Covered: Instructional Design & Software Documentation
Summary: I have a background in agile software development documentation and instructional design.
Job Title: Technical Writer - Software Documentation
Company: ITSolutions LLC
Description: Software Documentation
July 2010 - Present
IT Solutions LLC | Lanham, MD
Department of Defense
● Planned, organized, created and edited documentation for HQDA"s Total Ammunition Management Information System (TAMIS), a large scale Department of Defense web-based enterprise information system.
● Worked with developers, testers and configuration management to create end-user documentation, including online help, user manuals, Coming Soon documentation and screen notes.
● Developed process documents for software development, network engineering, and project management teams.
● Prepared end-of-year reports for audits and ensured that all documentation was compliant with documentation standards and regulatory requirements.
● Researched and implemented new documentation tools and methods, documented and improved processes, and refined and updated technical documentation style guides.
● Developed and executed documentation plans, tasks, and schedules by coordinating with program management, testing and software development teams.
● Engaged in daily interaction with end-user support personnel, program managers, software developers, and military personnel.
● Used version control software.
● Reviewed new implementations before they were released to the customer.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE EXHIBITED:
Familiarity with software development, experienced documenting web services, ability to learn new technologies quickly, ability to work independently, comfortable working under tight deadlines in a fast-paced, agile software development environment, comfortable working directly with program management and support teams, and strong communication and time management skills
Job Title: Contract Instructional Designer
Company: RWL Tech
Description: Instructional Designer
February 2006 - September 2010
RWL Tech | Herndon, VA
Education and Training
● Researched, developed, and created training programs and materials for web-based, student guided, and instructor-led training programs for corporate and government clients.
● Responsible for storyboarding and authoring e-learning content and blended learning solutions.
● Communicated technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
● Transformed reference documents, SME interview notes, and other raw materials into effective interactive training and end-user documentation, including user guides, demonstration videos and on-screen instructions.
● Developed course outlines, student exercises, and training objectives.
● Provided peer evaluation and feedback for training courses.
● Collaborated with clients regularly for a shared understanding of course requirements and content.
● Conferred with subject matter experts to gather and validate information.
● Utilized the ADDIE instructional systems design model to create effective and engaging training.
● Worked closely with graphic designers and developers to insure course interactivity.
● Reviewed deliverables for completeness, compliance with standards, and consistency with the design plan.
● Worked on projects for clients in various sectors, including financial, defense and industry.
● Worked in a home-office environment, with occasional on-site meetings with clients and subject matter experts.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE EXHIBITED:
Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to quickly adapt to and manage client expectations, ability to manage several different clients at a time and their ever changing needs, effective organizational and multi–tasking skills, and excellent proofing and editing skills
Job Title: Freelance Writer
March 2004 - September 2010
PocketScribe.com | Columbus, OH
Advertising and PR Services
● Captured freelance writing opportunities in the areas of public relations, advertising, web content creation, and business writing.
● Performed copywriting, technical writing and editing services on various writing projects.
● Compiled, organized and interpreted information to write and edit instructional material.
● Generated advertising copy, marketing collateral and media releases for clients.
● Wrote book summaries, reviews and commentaries.
● Prepared corporate biographies, web content, blog content and detailed business plans for businesses, including financial forecasts.
● Published several articles and short essays on behalf of company executives.
● Created marketing collateral using desktop publishing software.
● Managed the administration of a home business, to include billing activities, outsourcing projects, and business development.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE EXHIBITED:
Excellent writing and editing skill, project management skills, ability to handle several projects simultaneously, ability to work independently, and ability to manage client expectations.
Field of Study: Public Administration
University / College: American University