- London, GB
- £50 /hr
- Available now
Twelve years’ experience in communications in the UK creative industries, primarily in music and more recently in technology & digital media. I love working with brands andmore...Twelve years’ experience in communications in the UK creative industries, primarily in music and more recently in technology & digital media. I love working with brands and companies that make a positive difference to people's lives, and to develop innovative communications campaigns to help them achieve their aims.
Corporate/ strategic communications is my area of focus though I have run a number of integrated (ie with social media & marketing) consumer PR campaigns in the past; at the BBC, BPI and SparkPR across print, online and broadcast media.
When at the BPI, I was also the company’s lead spokesman as the record industry battled with its transition to digital distribution – making more than 100 broadcast media appearances to explain the issues around illegal downloading, copyright protection and to promote legal digital music services.
Area Covered: London, United Kingdom / Oxfordshire / Berkshire
Industry: Public Relations
Job Title: Director
Job Title: Head of Communications, Future Media
Description: The BBC’s Future Media division is responsible for the development of the BBC’s digital media services, BBC Online and BBC Red Button as well as its world-renowned R&D team.
I was responsible for the following areas:
• Thought-leadership, executive counsel & corporate reputation for BBC's Future Media division.
• Developing and delivering publicity campaigns for the BBC’s digital products, such as BBC iPlayer
• Issues management: standards development, piracy & content protection, syndication, net neutrality, data privacy and open source technologies.
• Crisis management, including business continuity, for the BBC’s interactive services.
Job Title: Director of Communications
Company: BPI (British Recorded Music Industry) Limited
Description: The BPI represents the UK’s recorded music business. Its membership comprises 400 music companies, including the four major record labels. It runs the BRIT Awards and its charitable arm The BRIT Trust. Starting as a Press Assistant in 2000, I held a number of roles before assuming full responsibility for communications in 2007.
Director of Communications
• Delivered strategic campaigns communicating the record industry position on core issues, such as unlawful filesharing, Term of Copyright, tranisition of music sales from CD to digital. Commissioned research, Chatham House dinners (with key media figures, political figures and commentators) were mechanics used to create a narrative alongside business activity such as anti-piracy actions and market reporting.
• Made more than 100 broadcast media appearances as a spokesperson, including mainstream programmes such as BBC Breakfast, Channel 4 News, drive-time radio and GMTV.
Previous BPI roles
Communications Manager (2004–2007)
PR & International Coordinator (2002–2004)
PR & Events Assistant (2000–2002)
Job Title: Freelance
Company: Music Sales Group
Description: PR for the publishing company’s online store musicroom.com & digital download service Sheet Music Direct.
Job Title: Account Assistant
Company: Freud Communications
Description: Consumer PR for Tunes, Surf and Olympus Cameras. Key projects included launch of Tunes' Change Your Tune campaign in conjunction with Kiss FM.
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Company: Warner Music Group
Description: Marketing support within the major label’s classical music division.
Job Title: Account Director
Description: Delivered director-level strategic counsel & media relations across a number of accounts: smart home platform AlertMe, p2p forex service Transferwise, video conferencing disruptor Vidyo, Russian gaming companies Kama Games & iFree, music discovery service WhoSampled, neuromarketing pioneer Nielsen Neurofocus, Russian eCommerce giant Ozon.ru and enterprise mobility company Good Technology.
Field of Study: Management Science
University / College: University of Southampton
Director-level communications consultant