- Castleford, GB
- £25 /hr
- Available now
get in touch to discuss your project so we can get started...
I have been working successfully on a freelance basis since May 2010, doing design projects for various clients ranging from flyer design over clothing/ apparel design to accessorymore...I have been working successfully on a freelance basis since May 2010, doing design projects for various clients ranging from flyer design over clothing/ apparel design to accessory and even designing full new web presences and developing brand identities for new start up businesses.
My clients include a yoga and gym wear brands, new triathlon clothing brand, a mtb cycling wear brand, a catering start up, a Yorkshire MMA clothing brand, a material arts gym, an up and coming UK cycling brand and a made to measure clothing design company, as well a new health food brand- www.stevia-shop.co.uk.
During my time at Altura I have proven to be a highly productive Product Designer for a well known UK cycling clothing brand I have taken a leading role in moving the brand forward through advancing the branding and application of this with my eye for detail and natural creative design ability.
My creative problem solving ability, background of clothing pattern construction and sewing skills have lead to great products without compromise in construction or function for the seasons I have been involved in products that are highly rated by both the sales team and customers alike. Most recently the Apex shorts I have designed and developed for Altura have had top marks in Mountain Biking UK (Issue253, Aug 2010) and in MBR (summer issue 27/07/2010).
Another review from October 2010:
“Altura Apex Shorts BEST SHORTS WMB - Worthy award winners, we reckon.
Altura has always made good value baggy shorts, but its expanded 2010 line offers some proper performance pieces as well. The Apex's stretchy fabric comes in a well-engineered multi-panel fit, and copes really well with pedalling and position shifts.
They're tough enough to survive a few gravel slide outs unscathed, but still feel light on the bike and dry quickly too. Worthy award winners, we reckon.”
Other women’s specific items I designed are currently featured in ZEST magazine April issue, page 102 (synergy gloves and short and top in feature photograph)
I am particular passionate about Sportswear design as I feel because I am also a freelance group fitness instructor and yoga teacher teaching a wide variety of classes every week, I understand exactly what fitness clothing should be all about.
Good Organisation and discipline enable me to keep up effective time management and deadlines are met comfortably at all times due to my prioritisation skills.
I am extremely driven, dedicated, very flexible and can adapt to any market.
In addition, my can-do approach and enthusiastic attitude ensures I constantly develop and improve, meeting every challenge with a fun frame of mind.
Area Covered: Yorkshire, remotely world wide
Work Experience Summary: Freelance Designer
- sportswear design/ sample development/ sourcing/ manufacturing support/ production management
May 2010 - present
• Yoga clothing brand
• Crossfit clothing brand
• Wiggle/ DHB - british cycling brand
• Gymluxe - glam womens gym wear
• Limitless Performance - cycling/ triathlon
• Ragpicker - cycling
• Logan- cycling
• Veleco - cycling
• Blitzsport - figthwear
• DACO - figthwear
• Team-and sportswear mfrs and suppliers - S-Trend
• Custom Gym wear for PTs
• UK Urban cycling clothing brands
• Ethical Cycling clothing brands
• Speed skating suits- sublimation designs - regular client
• Triathlon Performance Apparel – high performance cycling and triathlon clothing
• A range of private clients via PPH, logos, t-shirt prints, sewing, bag prototyping
• Quantum Lingerie - Nightwear designer for M&S and Boux Avenue (new brand of Theo Paphitis)
• Caged Steel - MMA fight-wear clothing design, logo design, web design (not live yet), various marketing material
• SPEG - Cycling wear brand, clothing design project
• Sew-You - logo & web design (my design no longer online, customer decided to do their own), marketing, start up support
• Flacks Fitness - designing new club merchandise T-shirts and Hoodies, designed marketing poster to promote classes
• Stevia-shop.co.uk – brand identity/ web site/ packaging
Product Designer for ALTURA
August 2008 - May 2010 ZYRO LTD [distributor to the cycling industry], Thirsk
- Design and development of ALTURA Technical Bikewear products
- Men's/ Women's and Kids clothing & accessories
- Concept development for Road biking, MTB, leisure and commuter range
- Meeting the needs of the end user, while taking into consideration construction, colour,
materials, aesthetics, price and brand objectives
- Create highly detailed specs & production packs including size charts
for garments, trims and graphics reducing initial development time of prototypes
- Detailed instruction on unique product features guiding supplier to solve production issues
- Full concept development and design for new in house high end urban bag brand
- Shop reports and competitor market analysis
- Trim: concept, design and development, Branding: development, concept, names and logos
- Adhering to brand guideline with an eye to detail
- Daily contact with factories, keeping a close eye on hitting key dates in the development calendar
- Conduct fit sessions assessing fit and aesthetic appearance
- Coordinate user trails to test function and fit
- Liaising & negotiating with factory on pricing, development of designs till production stage
- Approving all garment construction, fit and quality and production strike-offs
- one of my shorts design got top marks in two magazine product reviews in July 2010 (articles on request)
August 2007 - Aug.2008 Lambton Tailoring LTD [sister company of Com Plan Technology], Leeds
- Day to day communication with factories
- Liaising with factory on prices
- Work under own initiative
- Capable of working under extreme pressure
- Booking manufacturing capacity
- Planning production schedules
- Manage critical path
- Managing sample and bulk production
- Arrange shipping of bulk
- Ensure that all components are at the factory for CMT production runs
- Visiting various factories around Europe to ensure production runs on time
- Quality checks at factory as well as on all samples
- Liaising with customer on product/ production progress
- Retain records for billing/ reconciliation and signing off invoices
- Sourcing/ buying of trim and cloth
- Additionally, I continued Garment Technologist duties
- Assign work i.e. Pattern cutting, spec writing etc.
May 2007 - Aug. 2007 Com Plan Technology, Leeds
- Working on mainly traditional tailored products [men's and women's]
- Writing specification documents
- Measuring, checking quality and creating fit logs
- Liaising with customers, factories and sales team
- Creating costing markers using Assyst
- Calculating cloth usage
- Ordering of fabric and trimmings
- Progressive problem solving
- Managing critical path
- Graded size charts
Design Room Assistant / Junior Pattern Cutter
Sept. 2006 - Feb. 2007 Bluenile London, London
- Producing and amending patterns for prototypes and production
- Liaising with designers and sample machinists
- Working on both jerseys and woven
- Customers include: TopShop, River Island, ASOS,
Jane Norman and Sisters Point
- Assisting the Garment Technologist
- Measuring samples
- Checking fit and quality
- Coordinating sample production, following and updating critical path
- Producing specifications
Education Summary: 2003 - 2006 Leeds College of Art & Design, Leeds
[BA Hons. Fashion/ Clothing] - 1st class
Modules studied during BA course include:
Creative / Flat Pattern Cutting, CAD, Millinery, Menswear, Jewellery,
Sportswear, Grading [manual and using Gerber System],
Innovative Production, Critical Studies, Business Studies
2002 - 2003 Leeds College of Art & Design, Leeds
[College Diploma in Design, with English tuition and IELTS certificate]
[NOCN Clothing Technology, Level ONE] [production methods and flat pattern cutting]
Designer: Sportswear/ Cyclingwear/ Streetwear/ Apparel/ Fashion/ Clothing, Graphic and Web design, Marketing material
- 99% (109)
- Sales 17
- Delivery in 4 days
- Sales 17
- Rating 99%
- 99% (109)
- Sales 38
- Delivery in 4 days
- Sales 38
- Rating 100%
Great to work with Marie again
Went above and beyond to make sure I got what I wanted, only young and starting my first business and Marie offered lots of help. Will be working again with her in the near future.
Excellent work as always !
Very pleased as always!
The best!!! Always so lovely to work with.
Marie has been absolutely fabulous throughout the whole design process. From my somewhat vague design brief, she came up with a range of stunning concepts which were better than anything we could have imagined. I cannot say how pleased we are with the result. We are continuing to work with Marie to bring this garment through the manufacturing process, and will continue to work with her for further designs in the future.
Marie did a fantastic job turning our idea into some stunning design visuals. I look forward to working with her again in the future.
Marie was patient and professional in her work.
Marie was meticulous, fast, and straightforward. Everything was addressed immediately. Thank you Marie
Glad I could help. send me a picture when you get your outfit. It's always nice to see things made up. All the best
Full range of very good designs from Marie. She listened to the brief very well but also adjusted designs after feedback quickly and to a high standard. Would have no hesitation recommending - thanks Marie!
Marie has been absolutely fantastic.
She completely course corrected our project and has been incredibly patient with all our questions.
We'll definitely be coming back to work with her on the next phase.
Marie has been outstanding. She has added value throughout our development and been very patient with our questions. Highly recommended.
Marie has been very helpful and enthusiastic. She has had an insightful and proactive approach to our project. Thank you!
quick, efficient and super helpful