- Bristol, GB
- £100 /hr
- Available now
• 15 years technical experience in consultancy, development, architecture, management and support
• Management, Leadership, Mentoring & Facilitating (Certified SCRUM Mastermore...• 15 years technical experience in consultancy, development, architecture, management and support
• Management, Leadership, Mentoring & Facilitating (Certified SCRUM Master & Kanban)
• Technical Architecture, Software Design & Solutions across the complete product life cycle
• Quality Coding - Coding Standards, Best Practices, Testing & Refactoring
• Comfortable working in a team or independently
• Analysis & Problem solving, Crisis management, Using Initiative, Using differing perspectives (Experienced with Development, Test & Business perspectives)
• Technical Consultancy specialising in startups and Minimal Viable Product delivery
• METHODOLOGIES: Agile (SCRUM / Kanban / XP) [Certified SCRUM Master], TDD, BDD, OOD, SOA, REST, SPA
• PLATFORMS: .net 1–4.5, ASP.NET (MVC 1-4 & WebForms), Razor, HTML5, CSS3, LESS, XML, XSLT, AJAX, WebAPI, Entity Framework, NUnit, MSTest, WebDriver, Cucumber, Umbraco
• DATABASES: MS SQL Server 2000-2012, MySQL, Oracle, SQLite, SQL Reporting Services
• DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENTS: Visual Studio, NetBeans, Aptana (Eclipse)
• O/S: Windows, Mac, Linux
• OTHER SOFTWARE: TeamCity, Mercurial, Git, TFS, SVN, IIS, Apache
• OTHER SKILLS: Windows Desktop and Server build & sysadmin
SiansPlan Mobile / SiansPlan 3 (April 2013 – Present)
THE MINISTRY OF TECHNOLOGY – [C#4.5, Backbone.JS, WebAPI, jQuery, Entity Framework 4.3, CSS3, LESS, HTML5, Responsive Design, Require.JS, SQL Server 2012, AJAX, NUnit, Moq, Jasmine, Mercurial, MSBuild] Lead Developer, Tech. Consultant, Management Consultant
SiansPlan (May 2012 – Present) [http://www.siansplan.com]
THE MINISTRY OF TECHNOLOGY – [C#4, ASP.Net Web Forms, jQuery, Entity Framework 4.1, CSS3, SQL Server 2008, AJAX, Web Services, NUnit, Moq, Mercurial, Umbraco 4] Lead Developer, Tech. Consultant, Management Consultant
Enhancement of existing food platform to include new features and to enhance the underlying architecture, in stages, to make the product more scalable. Detailed Technical Analysis work for planning long-term on-going development (including POC work into future MVC4 / WebAPI based model). Services retained post initial contract for consultancy as a shareholder. Winner of ICCC 2012 and IIA Dot IE Net Visionary Awards 2012. KANBAN Project – Moving to SCRUM as development process grows.
Lewisham Enforce (BBits) (February 2013 – April 2013)
THE MINISTRY OF TECHNOLOGY – [C#4.5, Windows 8 App, XAML, WebAPI, Entity Framework 5, SQL Server 2012, MSTest, Moq, TFS] Project Owner, SCRUM Master, Tech. Lead
Project management and technical oversight on a Windows 8 app project interfacing with 3 external APIs. Managing internal staff and recruiting for outsourced teams to add additional resources.
Funds Library (September 2012 – December 2012) [http://www.fundslibrary.co.uk]
THE MINISTRY OF TECHNOLOGY – [C#4, ASP.Net Web Forms, jQuery, knockoutJS, XSLT, Custom MVC,ASP.Net MVC, CSS, SQL Server 2008, AJAX, NUnit, Moq, Rhino Mocks, Git] Developer
Ongoing maintenance and business as usual tasks adapting in-house developed software for specific client needs.
The Ministry of Technology (March 2012 – Present) [http://www.ministryotech.co.uk]
Development of an Umbraco 6 based corporate website with a custom blog and twitter integration using best practice development methodologies including full unit testing and TDD. KANBAN Project.
Vicinity CMS (May 2011 – February 2012)
Progressive development of a custom multi-lingual and multi-site CMS platform built on top of Umbraco 4, as well as POC work for later projected version using the MVC infrastructure of Umbraco 5. Best practice was applied with side projects and tools where possible. I built up the development infrastructure and team for this work from scratch and acted in a half management / half technical capacity. I acted as a SCRUM Master across two teams, one internal and one 3rd party working remotely and presided over methodology transition from SCRUM to Kanban agile approaches. I was technically responsible for coaching and pairing with my team members, providing high-level technical concepts and developing smaller scale applications within the scope of the project. SCRUM / KANBAN Project.
Open Road (March 2011 – May 2011)
EMO – [C# 3.5, ASP.Net WebForms, Windows Forms, SQL Server 2008, Excel, Batch, SOAP, FTP, Subversion] Developer
Redevelopment of a customer event management system allowing customers to be imported and register online to attend automotive marketing events, then managed through a disconnected client application when at the event to track sign out of cars on test drives. Database synchronisation was managed through a mixture of SOAP services and FTP scripts. KANBAN Project.
SoGlos (March 2011 – April 2012) [http://www.soglos.com]
On-going support and maintenance for an existing custom CMS platform providing an online magazine for South Gloucestershire. KANBAN Project.
Nokia Music Web Store (June 2010 – February 2011)
NOKIA MUSIC / OVI – [C# 3.5, ASP.Net MVC, REST Services, WCF, AJAX, jQuery, WatiR, NUnit, Moq, Subversion, Documentum CMS] Developer
On-going development of the Nokia Music web store (http://music.ovi.com) and associated Public API ensuring best practices such as pairing, Unit Testing and TDD are followed throughout. SCRUM Project.
LUX (UI Testing Framework) (November 2009 – June 2010)
NOKIA MUSIC / OVI – [Ruby, WatiR, Firefox, IE, Parallels, Subversion] Architect, Developer, Trainer
Development of UI testing framework using Ruby and training of said framework to the web development teams in handover. SCRUM Project.
Hades (UI Testing Distribution System) (June 2010)
NOKIA MUSIC / OVI – [PHP, Ruby, Parallels, Subversion] Architect, Product Owner
Side project for test distribution, developed by others but conceived by and managed by myself.
TAF / TAPAS (UI Testing Framework) (January 2009 – October 2009)
NOKIA MUSIC / OVI – [C# 3.5, WinForms, WatiN, Selenium, White, WCF, WPF Automation, MSTest, NUnit, Moq, TFS, Subversion] Architect, Lead Developer, Product Owner
Development of UI testing framework to enable abstracted testing across WCF and web based clients as well as providing client independent testing of services. Running with a team of 2 primaries and additional outsourced resource to serve a development environment client base of over 50 development staff. SCRUM Project.
Student Achievements Tracking System (May 2008 – December 2008)
CITY OF BRISTOL COLLEGE – [VB.Net 3.5, SQL Server 2000, Oracle, ASP.net WebForms] Developer
Common Application Process (CAP) (August 2007 – April 2008)
Common Application system for students, to be rolled out to several local authorities. SCRUM Project.
Area-Wide Prospectus (AWP) (August 2006 – December 2007)
Area Prospectus system for students, rolled out to over forty local authorities. SCRUM Project.
Apprenticeships Online (AOL) (August 2005 – August 2006)
Apprenticeships system for students, rolled out to several local authorities. SCRUM Project.
Punch Taverns (May 2005 – July 2005)
IOKO – [SQL Reporting Services 2000] Developer
Front end reporting system for manipulating and displaying pub lease data.
Ioko Detect (November 2004 – April 2005)
IOKO – [C#1.1, SharePoint 2003, SQL Server 2000, Windows Forms, Console, Aspose.Word, Pegasus Imaging, Web Parts] Developer, Client Training
Freedom of Information document management system.
Insight (November 2000 – October 2004)
ORANGE – [C#, VB.Net, VB6, VBA, ASP.Net WebForms, Classic ASP, SQL Server 2000, MS Access, Excel] Developer, Product Owner, Trainer
An encompassing internal web platform for use by the Business Customer Service arm of Orange. This was solely developed and maintained by myself and was the first .net implementation within Orange. Insight encompassed intranet systems for tracking documents, filling out requests and dynamically generating reports as well as scheduling distribution of them. Insight also acted as a Launchpad for various other projects developed in the same timeframe…
• Sign Post – VBA Document tracking system (superceded by online solution)
• Outbreak – Outbound calling logging system
• TimeLine – Time monitoring tool for staff management
Open Source Projects
In addition to my commercial project work, I also work on various open source projects. My own public projects are accessible at http://source.ministryotech.co.uk.
Academic History / Training
Work related training
• PERCIPIENT: Umbraco certified developer – level 1
• AGILIFY: Certified SCRUM Master
• NOKIA: Effective Communications
• RED TRAY: Web Development Fundamentals / SQL Server administration and Development
• QA: Advanced programming with Visual Basic Enterprise edition v6
• VBA for MS Excel Introduction
University of the West of England (September 95 – November 96)
• HND Business Studies (Information Systems) (1 year incomplete)
Bristol Grammar School (September 88 – June 95)
• A-LEVELS: Computing / Business Studies / Physics
• GCSEs: Economics / Technology / Biology / Chemistry / Physics / History / English / English literature / Mathematics / French
• OTHER: RSA Economics II (Distinction grade) / Young Enterprise certificate
Part Time CTO / Technical Advisor - Tech Businesses
Very helpful guy and saved me hours trawling through forums and tutorials.
Thanks for this Richard, feedback well appreciated.
Thanks for this Walter, feedback well appreciated. I hope you get everything sorted.
Sound, clear and practical advice. Thanks Keith.
Keith knew what I wanted to achieve, and that I was going about it the wrong way, and put me on the right track.
A good start.