- Liverpool, GB
- £7 /hr
- Available now
I have several years experience as a reporter working for newspapers and magazines in the North West. I have also spent time working for local newspapers in the US. As a freelancemore...I have several years experience as a reporter working for newspapers and magazines in the North West. I have also spent time working for local newspapers in the US. As a freelance journalist I have produced articles for publications across the UK.
Area Covered: UK
Summary: August 2010 – Present Freelance Journalist
• I am available for feature writing, news reporting, copywriting and sub-editing.
• I am a regular contributor to Business Report, Property Management Select magazine and Educate magazine.
April 2009 – March 2011 Move Publishing Senior Journalist
• I predominantly wrote for Your Move, a fortnightly property and lifestyle magazine with a readership across Merseyside; and Move Commercial, a quarterly business publication distributed across the Liverpool City Region, Manchester and Chester.
• I had sole editorial control over the titles, with significant input into their design.
• I was charged with researching, developing and writing a variety of articles, maintaining the Your Move website and liaising with advertisers.
• I also had responsibility for Your Move’s e-newsletters for business-to-business clients and general subscribers.
My work included:
• Interviews with figures such as Seb Coe, Ray Mears, Henry Winkler and Paloma Faith.
• Business profiles including Lindsey Ashworth, development director at Peel Holdings; and Simon Arora, CEO of B&M Retail.
• Company profiles, including analysis of how firms such as Home Bargains are thriving during the recession.
• Feature articles on property issues such as “downsizing” and the decline of “accidental landlords”.
• Coverage of the region’s ever-changing commercial and residential landscape.
• Commercially driven news articles highlighting local companies in sectors such as property and retail.
• Specialist advice on lifestyle and leisure issues.
• Restaurant, film, theatre and music reviews and previews.
March 2007 – March 2009 Chronicle Newspaper Group Chief Reporter
• The Chronicle Series is an independent newspaper group with a 50,000 readership across south Cheshire and north Staffordshire.
• During a quarterly review, the News Editor and Deputy Editor stated I was the best trainee reporter they had worked with.
• As a measure of my progress as a trainee reporter, I was promoted to the role of district reporter for the Biddulph area. Subsequently I became chief reporter of the newspaper group, with the responsibility of co-ordinating the reporters, liaising with the editor and managing the news agenda.
My work included:
• A three page spread covering the funeral of a local soldier killed in Iraq
• An exclusive report of a strike at one of Cheshire’s largest employers
• Other exclusives, using information from key contacts
• Court stories, including three-day coverage of a major fraud trial
• Crime stories, including arson, murder and armed robbery
• Coverage of council meetings and the subsequent follow-ups
• Community campaigns and human interest stories
• Soft feature pieces and advertorials
• Business stories, including a takeover of a local software company
• Reviews of the arts and both national and local theatre productions
• News of charity events, retirements, community projects and local schools
May 2008 – August 2008 Various US Newspapers Reporter
In May 2008 I took a three month leave of absence in the USA to gain experience working for four American local newspapers:
• The Randolph Herald (Vermont)
• The Kyle and Buda Free Press (Texas)
• The Alpine Avalanche (Texas)
• The Timber Lake Topic (South Dakota)
My work included:
• A preview of the Vermont Governorship race
• Coverage of Memorial Day celebrations
• Coverage of local council meetings
• Community news
• Cultural and travel features
• Feature-length articles on topics such as the Presidential race, the price of gasoline and ‘big cat’ sightings
• Profiles of local figures
I also sent a weekly, full page, feature report to the UK, which was published in the Chronicle.
Job Title: Journalist
Company: The Herald of Randolph
Description: I spent a week working for the Herald during the summer of 2008.
Education Summary: September 2008 - July 2010 National Certificate Examination for reporters
September 2006 – February 2007 Liverpool Community College
• NCTJ (18-week) Post-Graduate Diploma in newspaper journalism
September 2002 – July 2005 University of Liverpool
• 2.1 BA (Hons) Politics & Communications