- Newark on Trent, GB
- £30 /hr
- Available now
An established self employed engineering design consultant trading for 26 years. With a broad range of experience within the automotive industry, predominantly in power-train (Rovermore...An established self employed engineering design consultant trading for 26 years. With a broad range of experience within the automotive industry, predominantly in power-train (Rover Group, Cummins, European Engine Alliance, Antonov Automotive Technologies) but also with engine management systems and brakes. I enjoy technical challenges where I have the opportunity to produce innovative solutions, and enjoy interfacing with related departments, suppliers and customers. Now seeking a design role within, or outside the automotive industry.
Area Covered: UK and worldwide
Work Experience Summary: • Steering knuckles
• Transmission shafts
• Epicyclic gear sets
• Induction systems
• Exhaust systems
• Ancillary brackets
• Front end drives
• Cam carriers
• Cam covers
• Throttle bodies
Transmission Design Engineer
Part of a team Initially in Paris until April 2007 when the project relocated to Warwick in the UK to translate a concept design semi automatic transmission to a running vehicle prototype.
• Design responsibility for shafts, epicyclic assemblies, gears (gear profile specified by analysis department using Romax) and various other components.
• Working with design analysis for component optimization and gear specification.
• Working with a Chinese automotive manufacturer which included a number of visits to China for liaison with the customer design team.
• Conducted supplier visits to establish both prototype and potential volume component supply and incorporate DFM requirements into the designs.
• First transmissions were built In January 2008 and after some optimisation on test beds were installed into vehicles during the Summer of 2008 which involved a high level of liaison with the development team.
• Following a successful vehicle calibration and test mileage a vehicle was shipped to China for a successful series of demonstrations with Chinese automotive manufacturers.
All work was conducted on Pro Engineer Wildfire 2 with Pro Intralink being used as the data storage and release system.
Delphi Brake Systems, Leamington Oct 2001 • Jul 2004
Tremblay Paris July 2004 • Apr 2006
Innovation Centre team developing an innovative new braking system solution for passenger cars and light commercial vehicles, utilizing twin floating discs.
• Design responsibility for a rear corner with an automatic park brake adjuster which included rear knuckle and caliper fist’.
• Working with OEM for the integration of this assembly into their vehicle.
• Working closely with suppliers for the procurement of prototype parts (the knuckle forging won Forging of the Year’ in the UK industry)
• First prototypes were built into a BMW X5 demonstrator in December 2003 and subsequently launched to the public in 2004, later winning the Dewar award for innovation.
• Following public release the brake was engineered into a customer vehicle.
All design work undertaken with Pro Engineer 2000i’² with Intralink as the Database.
Education & Qualifications
Wildernesse Boys School, Sevenoaks, Kent
GCE:- Engineering Drawing, Geography
CSE:- Maths, Metalwork, Engineering Science, English, Geography
West Kent College, Tonbridge, Kent.
Full Technical Certificate in Production Engineering - City and Guilds