- Oldham, GB
- £45 /hr
- Available now
As an Autocad literate chartered architect and multi-disciplinary design manager, I am experienced in designing and managing the design of building projects up to £600M in value.more...As an Autocad literate chartered architect and multi-disciplinary design manager, I am experienced in designing and managing the design of building projects up to £600M in value. This has been gained via multi-disciplinary consultancy in the private sector on a wide range of projects, some unusual:
• Airport terminals and railway stations,
• Energy from waste plants and waste recycling buildings,
• Industrial developments,
• Defence facilities,
• Nuclear processing plants,
• Power generation and electrical distribution facilities,
• Shopping centres, restaurants, banks and public houses,
• Office buildings and schools,
• Museums and visitor attractions,
• Religious buildings,
• Public and private housing.
My experience has been gained on projects procured under a variety of traditional, management contract, design-build and turn-key methods. I have worked for clients, monitoring the work of building contractors and their designers, and for contractors, assisting them in bids and supervising their design teams.
Experienced in office, framework and multi-disciplinary design team management and the management of project procurement processes, I have a proactive and open-minded ‘can-do’ approach to developing imaginative, affordable 'cost-thrifted' solutions in close working relationships with my clients. I have a thorough understanding of legislation, codes of practice and standards, health and safety matters, fee agreements, building contracts and procurement methods relevant to design and construction.
I passionately believe in good quality, sustainable design, at the forefront of technology, established by rigorous comparative process and in improving the effectiveness of design and procurement information.
Area Covered: Building design, Multi-disciplinary design management, Building development, framework or programme management.
Job Title: Consultant
Company: Ian Johnson Architect
Description: I am currently working part-time as aconsultant to Pascall+Watson architects on the design of an extension to Leeds Bradford Airport and on various other projects for domestic clients.
Job Title: Regional Director
Company: Pascall + Watson Architects, Manchester
Description: Pascall+Watson has a reputation for excellence in the design of major air, rail and further education projects. I managed the Manchester office, teams of consultants directly employed by Pascall+Watson on a range of projects and a multi-disciplinary framework serving Manchester Airport.
● Establishing more effective office management systems to monitor project status and costs.
● Managing the office through an increase in turnover from £0.5 M to £1.1 M pa.
● Turning a significant "problem" project into a success (it won an award and finished in profit).
● Bringing in bids and some work and getting P+W in front of Network Rail, Manchester.
● King Abdullah Azis International Airport, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia –Tender support.
● Pulkovo Airport, St Petersburg –Basis of design package.
● Extension and redevelopment of Leeds Bradford Airport (£26 M) –Fee and team management.
● Terminal 3, Manchester Airport (£107 M) –Feasibility study.
● Jersey Energy from Waste Facility (£100 M) –Technical advisor role.
● Terminal 1 Arrivals Retail Scheme, Manchester Airport (1.26 M) –End of contract administration.
● Terminal 1 OBC, Manchester Airport (£12 M) –Completion of detailed design.
Job Title: Technical Director
Company: Jacobs UK Ltd, Manchester
Description: Jacobs is an international technical and construction management consultancy. I managed the architectural department of the Manchester office on a range of projects, coordinating with clients, project managers, other departments and offices, contributing to group marketing initiatives and bids.
● Increasing departmental turnover to £0.5 M p.a, by developing a specialist visualization team.
● Managing the work of design disciplines across several offices on certain projects.
● Taking key parts in bids and presentations for national frameworks.
● Co-ordinating the company"s technical input to a major local public inquiry.
● Sky Bowl Visitor Attraction, Durham (£3.7M) –Feasibility report for a 28m diameter polished
stainless steel 'sky reflector' dish.
● STFC Daresbury Laboratory, Cheshire –Architectural director for various projects.
● Cheadle Hulme Station –Step-Free Access scheme.
● Project Peter Phases 1+2, Kelloggs, Manchester – Feasibility studies and design of restaurant.
● Energy from Waste Facility, La Collette, Jersey –Technical advice and cladding options study.
● Super Highways Depots, Ashford, Dover and Wrotham (£various) –Tender designs.
● CVF Build Facility, Barrow-in-Furness (BAE Systems) –Concept for aircraft carrier building.
● Langage Energy Centre, Plymouth (£600 M) –Architectural director for gas fired power station.
● Penny Pot Lane Highways Depot, Harrogate -Tender design.
● Riverside Energy from Waste Plant, London (Costain) –Tender design and advice.
● South West Strategic Design Alliance –Visualisations and detailed designs.
● MetroLink Condition Surveys (GMPTE) -Eccles and Altrincham lines.
● Nuclear Waste Repository, Dounrey –Advice to mitigate landscape impact.
● Sub-station, North Manchester Business Park (NWDA) –Concept design
● Treadow Gas Pressure Reducing Station –Concept design and visualization.
● Police Control Centre, Sellafield –Concept design.
Job Title: Principal Architect
Company: Babtie Group, Manchester
Description: Babtie Group was a multi-disciplinary design consultancy. Whilst there, I managed a team in the Energy and Industry Department and then the Architectural Business Stream on a range of projects, providing advice and support to other offices and Group departments.
● Developing the department into other areas of work.
● Co-ordinating the preparation of an environmental statement for a major project.
● Establishing the company"s architectural presence at AWE.
● Glass Container Manufacturing, Filling, Storage and Distribution Facility, Chester (£252M).
● Coolkeragh Power Station, Derry (VA Tech) –Planning & construction drawings.
● Lough Road Waste Recycling Centre, Islington, London –Advice and support for lessee.
● TAS Extension, Govan Yard, Glasgow (BAE Systems) –Design of ship assembly building.
● Beighton Rail Depot (Bombardier) –Tender design.
● West Coast Line (Virgin Trains) -Design of station improvements.
● Greengairs IWMF, Scotland (Shanks Waste Solutions) –Architectural director for feasibility study
● Dogsthorpe IWMF, Peterborough (Shanks Waste Solutions) –Feasibility study for local plan.
● John Bright School, Llandidno (Alfred MacAlpine -£13M) – Design of new PFI secondary school.
● Volkswagen, Stockport (Norwich Union) -Legal report.
● The Green MK Centre, Milton Keynes (Shanks Waste Solutions -£170M) –Concept design and multiple planning submissions for the larget IWMF in the UK
● Modern Facilities at Stations Project (Galliford) –Designs for 16 suburban railway stations.
● Huntstown Power Station, Dublin (Bower-Gama JV) –Construction drawings.
● Pulrose Power Station, Douglas, Isle-of-Man (Morrisons) –Tender drawings.
● Nottinghamshire Schools Project –Design of access improvements.
● Biffa Waste Schemes –Feasibility studies and design of waste recycling facilities.
● Buildings 1 and 40, Fullwood Barracks, Preston (WS Atkins): Design of alterations.
Job Title: Senior Architect
Company: Allott and Lomax Consulting Engineers, Manchester
Description: Allott and Lomax was a multi-disciplinary design consultancy with a reputation for quality delivery. During my time there I acted as company architect and managed the architectural design team in the Power and Industry Department. I also provided architectural advice and support to other offices and departments.
● Increasing architectural staff numbers from 4 to 11.
● Establishing better structure and control of the architectural input to projects.
● Establishing a reputation for providing prompt, competent advice within the company.
● Moyle (Scotland-Northern Ireland) Interconnector Project (Siemens PLC –Value: £70M).
● Alternative Flask Receipt Facility, Sellafield (BNFL) –Preparation of "Class A" drawings.
● Shoreham Power Station (ABB -£14M) –Planning and construction drawings.
● Winnington CHP Power Station (ALSTOM) –Planning application and construction drawings.
● Project Circe, Germany (Bechtel) Feasibility studies and construction drawings (various sites).
● Millenium Project, Workington (Iggesund Paper Board -£220M) –Construction drawings
● Term Commission National Grid PLC -Various refurbishment and alteration schemes.
● Dale Barracks, Chester (WS Atkins) Design of refurbishments for single person"s quarters.
● CITB and Medical Centre Buildings, RAF Cosford, (MOD) –Interior design schemes.
● Enfield CCGT Power Station (ABB Power Generation) –Planning and construction drawings.
Job Title: Consultant
Company: Ian Johnson Chartered Architect, Oldham
Description: During this period I designed houses, extensions and alterations, improvement grant and disabled access schemes, some with contract administration, acted as Planning Supervisor for MBNA Bank"s office and multi-storey car park scheme in Chester (£4.3M), wrote QA and Safety procedures for a contractor and reported on the design and construction of a sports and community centre for the National Lottery Charities Board.
● Running my own business. Developing financial and commercial management skills.
● Learning the importance of committing to clients and ensuring certainty of delivery.
Job Title: Project Architect and Planning Supervisor
Company: Dyer Associates Ltd, Cheltenham
Description: As project architect and contract administrator I supervised the design of the National Waterways Museum, offices for the Bank of England in Gloucester and Eagle Star in Cheltenham, a shopping centre in Bristol, a mixed use commercial, museum and pedestrianisation scheme for Devenish Brewery in Weymouth and project managed a country house for Group 4 Securitas" chairman. As planning supervisor I acted on projects for GCHQ, Cheltenham Ladies College, John Ratcliffe Hospital, Wellcome Trust and MBNA Bank.
● Managing the design of high quality commercial projects.
● Setting up and developing the company"s planning supervision business.
● Passing on one of 10 UK projects reviewed by HSE on CDM Regulation implementation.
Job Title: Assistant Architect and Architect
Company: (Work Experience Prior to 1986)
Description: Between 1983 and 1986, I worked for AA Design Ltd , a firm of architects, surveyors and interior designers, on the design of public houses, restaurants and working men"s clubs, banks and housing association schemes, acting as contract administrator on some. In 1982 I worked for Sheffield City Council on a tenant needs survey. Between 1980 and 1981 I worked for Gerard White Ian Coates Partnership in Manchester, on the design of hostels and housing association schemes.
Degree: BA (hons), Dip.arch
Field of Study: Architecture
University / College: The University of Sheffield
Multi-disciplinary Design Manager / Advisor / Framework or Programme manager