- Paris, FR
- €25 /hr
- Available now
Translations in French to English - mostly in the legal context
Reliable and creative, I can meet your French/English translation needs swiftly and accurately at a competitive rate. My background is in mental health Social Work, but for themore...Reliable and creative, I can meet your French/English translation needs swiftly and accurately at a competitive rate. My background is in mental health Social Work, but for the last four years my activities have centred on translation for a solid client base from both commercial and artistic spheres, with some editing and writing. I also do freelance interpreting for the French judicial system. I've been living permanently in Paris since 2009, though I've had a base here since 2003 and used to divide my time between Paris and London.
- Sweet Street Desserts - Since 2012, I have assisted this US-based, multi-national company on a freelance basis. I cover all their commercial and marketing translation needs both English to French and French to English. I also create marketing materials for them in French.
- On/Gallery - I translate their art marketing documents from French to English, to accompany exhibitions of paintings, sculpture and photographic artwork from China.
- Cannes Festival 2014 participants - notably Abdellatif Kechiche (award-winning Tunisian/French film-maker) - I translated two film scripts from French to English for presentation at the Festival this year.
- The Royal Family of Morocco - this year I wrote a high-quality sales brochure in English to market the Château d'Armainvilliers, using French language information sources.
- Mobile Art Kitchen - Since 2012, I assisted as a French-English interpreter for all meetings in the start-up phase of this US-owned company's activities in Paris, covering general, legal and technical topics.
- French Police - Since 2010, I have assisted various police departments by interpreting for English-speakers in police interviews. I have also translated documents forming part of investigative procedures.
- French Courts - Since 2010, I have worked as a freelance interpreter for English speaking offenders and witnesses at the Palais de Justice.
Other relevant work:
- Volunteer translator for Emmaus since 2009 - providing English translations of French legal documents to assist homeless Anglophone asylum seekers through the bureaucratic maze.
- Prose Editor for Paris Lit Up Magazine, a journal of English language literature and art based in Paris.
- Play-writing. In 2014 I have written, produced and directed two plays as part of an English-language theatre festival based in Paris. The second play is a bilingual (English and French) piece.
- Fiction. I have been widely published in English-language literary journals and anthologies, and was double short-listed at the York Festival in 2012.
- Group Leadership. Currently I host the Paris Writers' Group, an English-language literary feedback seminar where I critique work by new writers, and I co-founded the Damremont Writers' Group, which meets weekly to critique longer fiction work-in-progress - novels and memoirs. I also proof-read and edit members' work.
- BA hons Russian Language and Literature, 1991, University of Birmingham
- MA (with distinction) in Social Work, 2000, Middlesex University
- AMHP (Approved Mental Health Professional) 2005. This was a government-run specialist medico-legal course lasting 6 months, which qualified me to lead decisions on patients in crisis, including involuntary hospitalisation.
Translator, Writer, Editor