- London, GB
- £7 /hr
- Available now
During the last seven years I have managed two charities based in London. I began my career in theatre, working for Paines Plough Ltd, a touring theatre company specialising inmore...During the last seven years I have managed two charities based in London. I began my career in theatre, working for Paines Plough Ltd, a touring theatre company specialising in new writing. While working as General Manager for the theatre company I was lucky enough to be involved in producing theatre nationally and internationally. The skills I acquired included: contract negotiation, tour booking and administration, financial management of a very successful organisation and a thorough understanding of HR and administrative systems.
After Paines Plough I moved to BANG Edutainment Ltd, a radio and educational charity aimed at young people based in North West London. The logistics, bureaucracy and monitoring that is involved in running an organisation that is funded by multiple sources is very complex. I have learnt how to manage, budget, maintain and progress a multi funded organisation, with a turnover of £1M that can never rely on funding always coming in time or at all. I have written and delivered the back office strategy for BANG and recognise the vital role back office has to play in successful service delivery and in maintaining a happy and healthy staff team.
I believe my key skills and attributes include:
Through seven years of experience I have become an excellent HR generalist. This includes: recruitment, selection and induction, settling grievances and disputes, representing both staff and organisation in disciplinary proceedings, acting as a mediator where appropriate, implementing appraisal systems and personal development programmes for all members of staff and writing a number of HR based policies (Lone Working Policy, Threatening Behaviour Policy, Safeguarding Children Policy, Absence and Sickness Policy, Volunteering Policy and Process). In the next three months I will begin working towards achieving Chartered CIPD recognition based on the experience I already have.
I have managed a team of 12 staff and up to 75 volunteers. I have a sophisticated understanding of how to treat staff and volunteers at different levels which would directly apply to any role. I am a member of the Senior Management Team where my responsibilities include setting strategic organisational goals and business planning. One of my direct responsibilities is driving forward the targets of each business division. While I don’t directly line manage division heads, I am responsible for ensuring they delivery on their strategies and targets. This has involved careful management of senior members of staff which I have been very successful at.
I have had the responsibility of the complete financial management and control of both organisations I have worked for. This includes preparation of all financial accounts including: Management accounts, end of year accounts, balance sheets, P&L, cashflow, bank reconciliations, Tax and VAT returns, payroll, preparation of yearly budgets- on a company and individual project basis, day to day bookkeeping including processing and payment of invoices and bills, petty cash and banking. Having a very rounded experience of finance from the top down has enabled me to be very successful and realistic when financially running an organisation as there is no disjoint between my understanding of financial strategy and day to day financial operations. I am not an accountant, nor do I wish to be one, but I can operate at a high enough level to create a financial strategy and deliver it without the need for additional accountancy support.
I have knowledge of national funding and policy. I am used to working with the Arts Council through regular funding and through the Grants for the Arts Scheme. Other bodies that I have had experience of dealing with include: various trusts and foundations, BBC Children In Need, Lottery Schemes, Councils and NDC’s, Connexions and Adventure Capital Fund. I am experienced at putting together key partnerships which enhance the objectives the organisation.
I am a clear and accurate communicator with a wealth of experience of dealing with people from very different and diverse backgrounds. At present I work directly with young people (13-25) who would be considered very hard to reach and at risk. I have worked hard at developing a style of communication which is open, professional and supportive but at all times motivational.
In the last three years I have successfully guided BANG through Investors in People Accreditation and the Matrix Standard. Both accreditations involved huge amounts of work, an ability to see the organisation from the outside and a commitment to implementing change in order to achieve best practice.
My interpersonal skills are excellent. I have a lot of energy and have found that I am excellent at motivating other people and getting the job done. I have excellent computer skills. I am skilled in Email, Word, Excel and Access. I am willing to travel anywhere as part of the role and can be very flexible in my working practice.
Area Covered: LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management
Job Title: Operations Director
Company: BANG Edutainment Ltd
Description: Responsibilities include:
• Day to day and strategic management of overall administrative and financial operations of the organisation.
• Preparation of all financial accounts including: Management Accounts, End of Year Accounts, Balance Sheets, P&L, Cashflow, Bank Reconciliations, Tax and VAT returns, Payroll.
• Preparation of yearly budgets- on a company and individual project basis
• Understanding and knowledge of compliance requirements when accounting for a charity including regular liaison with the Charity Commission, Companies House and the Inland Revenue
• HR management- covering recruitment, selection, inductions, contracts, dismissal, grievance and disciplinary procedures, staff development, redundancy and appraisals
• Policy management including health and safety, equal opportunities, safeguarding children, child protection, data protection, environmental and others
• Proven track record in successful fundraising from Trusts and Foundation, Local Govt, Lottery programmes and other Govt initiatives.
• Funding Monitoring reports for all grants and contracts- report writing, financial reporting, beneficiary analysis
• Member of the senior management team and contribution to the strategic planning of the organisation"s services
• Management of staff and teams of volunteers from all sections of the community
• Full management of two buildings including full time community radio station, training centre for young people and community training resource building. Both buildings involve facilities management and maintenance, landlord relationships and building revenue streams.
• Capital project management for new radio station- project management including- Engaging suitable contractors for different aspects of the refurbishment; Supervising works; Decision making; Strict financial control; maximising profitability from the refurbishment
• Contract negotiation for new projects and funding. Negotiation with LSC, Funders, Venues and other training providers.
• Successfully achieving Investors in People and Matrix quality accreditations.
• Acting in CEO"s place while CEO was on secondment for 4 months.
Job Title: General Manager
Company: Bigga Fish Ltd
Job Title: General Manager/ Administrator
Company: Paines Plough Ltd
Description: Responsibilities included:
-General office management
-Day to day bookkeeping including payroll
-Financial management including management accounting and financial reporting
-Preparation and management of yearly budgets and budgets for productions, touring, London based and International, and End Of Year accounts
-Production and tour administration
-Management of production teams and organisation technically, liaising with Production Managers and Production Teams
-Networking with local, regional, national and international contacts
-Liaising and compliance with outside bodies including The British Council, Arts Council, ITC, Charities Commission and Inland Revenue.
-Contract negotiation and issuing for creative, production and cast teams. Co-production agreements and agent negotiation.
-Assistant Producer: This Other England Season at the Menier Chocolate Factory- The Small Things by Enda Walsh, Mercury Fur by Phillip Ridley, Pyrenees by David Grieg and If Destroyed True by Douglas Maxwell, After The End by Dennis Kelly (Edinburgh and The Bush Theatre). Producer: Product by Mark Ravenhill (Edinburgh, London and Internationally), Stacy by Jack Thorne (Trafalgar Studios with Fishwick Productions)
Job Title: Finance Administrator
Company: Prudential Financial
Degree: Combined BA Honours
Field of Study: English Literature & Film and Drama
University / College: The University of Reading
Operations Director: Finance, HR and Project Management