- Atlanta, GA, US
- £40 /hr
- Available now
Professional network and systems administrator with extensive knowledge and expertise with various UNIX operating systems (heavy on Linux/GPL), both in development and administration.more...Professional network and systems administrator with extensive knowledge and expertise with various UNIX operating systems (heavy on Linux/GPL), both in development and administration. Strong background in voice and data communications (VoIP and network architecture). I possess a high aptitude for quickly learning new systems and adapting to new environments. I work well in a team/group setting, quickly becoming a valuable contributing member of the workgroup, as well as working well independently, self-managing and overseeing others.
Area Covered: Atlanta, GA
Work Experience Summary: Vocalocity, Inc.
Quality Assurance Systems Administrator
February 2011 - Present
• Responsible for quality assurance testing of software and infrastructure components before deployment into production network, which includes bug tracking via Jira and VersionOne, communication of issues to development teams, assisting in finding a solution to various software application issues, and receiving/verifying issues from customer care department all accomplished via the Agile project management process.
• Administration of all servers (Windows and Linux) and infrastructure components for the quality assurance Department (currently around 80 machines) . This primarily consists of CentOS 5 servers running JBoss, Terracotta, Memcache, Postgresql, Opensips, and RTPProxy.
• Analysis and troubleshooting of SIP signaling.
• Implemented the company’s first large scale deployment of infrastructure components and services into a cloud environment.
• Improved the network performance of the quality assurance team’s testing environments through hands-on traffic analysis of their VoIP network.
Marine Technologies, LLC.
Network/Systems Engineering Consultant
August 2009 – June 2011
• Personally implemented and deployed new Asterisk telephony network for a company providing Internet and telephony services to the oil production industry (almost 250 vessels and oil drilling platforms globally)
• Assist in network management and customer installation of satellite based IP networks.
• SNMP, Tacacs+, and Syslog implemented for all routing equipment on global satellite based IP network.
• Designed new shipboard PA/Intercom and General Quarters Alarm system for integration with Asterisk PBX and Asterisk telephony network.
• Integration of Asterisk with current Tadiran PBX network.
Agiosat Government Services, Inc.
Satellite Network/Systems Engineer
February 2009 – October 2011
• Manage all network and satellite networking equipment for a company providing Internet and telephony services to a wide range of customers (primarily consisting of U.S. Govt., State Govt., and Municipalities) spread across the globe.
• Design and implement new customer (terrestrial and satellite based) IP networks on a constant basis.
• Complete redesign and overhaul (physical layer and packet layer) of network during first 6 months of employment.
• Integrated and eventually converted legacy PBX (Quintum) network to Asterisk.
CET Networks, Inc.
March 2003 – April 2008
• Network architect and administrator for a tier 2 business-to-business Internet service provider under a three year consulting contract from March 2003 to April 2006 on a round the clock basis.
• Designed and maintained a highly automated high security datacenter network with multiple, redundant tier 1 peers and numerous client private fiber loops.
• Interfaced with a large number of clients on a daily basis to assist them in the deployment, management, and troubleshooting of their fiber loops, servers, applications, and data.
• Responsible for traffic/BGP routing, network monitoring, network security, troubleshooting network issues, administration of client servers/clusters, automated data backup and retrieval, and application deployment and support for around 600 individual servers running various UNIX, Linux, and Windows operating systems.
• Interfaced with upstream providers to troubleshoot network issues.
Cryptic Net Communications
February 2001 – March 2003
• Architected and built an end-user DSL Internet service provider network for a small Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC).
• Contributor to the design and deployment of the network from scratch.
• Responsible for general network administration such as traffic routing and network security.
• Provided a cost based analysis for numerous tier 1 upstream providers to assist the company in choosing network uplinks. Analysis also included network statistics, uptime, lead time for setup, and direct customer service review.
• Responsible for interfacing directly with the American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN) regarding IP allocations, the company’s tier 1 network providers and the interconnected Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier (ILEC) regarding all service related requests or concerns.
Pet Circuit, Inc.
May 2002 – July 2005
• E-commerce web development for a shopping cart/checkout system.
• Integrated website with payment processing APIs via PHP.
• Provided administration for web servers, mail servers, and network backup tools.
Digium, Inc., Huntsville, AL
Technical Support Engineer and Operations Manager
September 2000 - February 2002
• Worked directly under the creator of the Linux based PBX system known as Asterisk [Mark Spencer].
• Provided on-site and telephone support to customers/clients for Linux, Asterisk, and other general administration related issues.
• Managed accounts payable, accounts receivable, tax liabilities, payroll, task assignment, project management, and general operations.
Degree: Bachelor of Science
Field of Study: Biology
University / College: MIT
Linux Systems Administrator & VoIP Network Architect