- Manchester, GB
- £32 /hr
- Available now
I am a software developer with nine years of commercial experience particularly with mobile applications (Cordova/Phonegap hybrid HTML5/JS/CSS apps, native Android/Java, nativemore...I am a software developer with nine years of commercial experience particularly with mobile applications (Cordova/Phonegap hybrid HTML5/JS/CSS apps, native Android/Java, native iOS/Objective-C), .Net (C#, LINQ, WinForms, WPF), XML (XQuery, XSLT, Schema authoring and extension), C++ and IEC 61131-3 PLC programming languages for embedded control and safety systems. I have worked on enterprise web applications, the leading digital preservation system and integrated desktop tools in the demanding field of industrial Safety Instrumented Systems.
In the area of safety systems, I have worked on developing new methodologies for the design, build and test of SIL 2 and 3 safety applications as well as the tools to support each stage. These tools included graphical editors for new languages, code generators, PLC emulation and HMI mockups.
I am also well versed in functional and concurrent programming languages including Haskell, OCaml, Clean and OCCAM/CSP inspired languages such as occam-pi, Alef, Scala and XC, due to interest as a hobbyist and Oxford BA CompSci courses.
I contribute to a range of open source projects (see github.com/eisnerd), mainly in connection with music library management and multi-room audio. I will dive into an unfamiliar code base if necessary, whether C, Java or ruby, bug fixing, for example, libgdiplus for a port of a printing application to OS X.
I will take work ranging from new design and builds to enhancements, scripts and add-ons, in either case for web applications, WinForms or WPF applications, GNU/Linux tools and GUIs or core algorithms for workflow management, graph optimisation, compilation and translation and so on. I will be happy to discuss your aims and begin envisioning low-maintenance, highly automated solutions with you.
Area Covered: Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Job Title: Software Engineer
Company: Trinity Integrated Systems
Description: For this specialist safety system solution provider, which offers requirements capture, safety lifecycle management and engineering software tools for the oil and gas, industrial process and control sectors, I worked on developing new methodologies for the design, build and test of SIL 2 and 3 safety applications as well as the tools to support each stage. These tools included graphical editors for new languages, code generators, PLC emulation and HMI mockups.
A dual aspect, in development of which I took the technical lead, was that of managing functional safety as per IEC 61511. This involved graphical workflow editors integrated with the main engineering tools for putting down functional safety plans and providing both traceability and policy enforcement for the fulfilment of the engineering and supervisory tasks for the whole subsequent safety lifecycle. Consequently, I have developed expertise in a wide range of Business Process Modeling (BPM) and workflow management technologies.
- Safety Instrumented Systems
* Novel safety application development methodology
* Integrated supporting tools
* Compilers, source code generation and translation
* Interfacing PLCs and vendor engineering environments
* Software simulation of PLCs and HMI mockups
* Ad-hoc and scripted PLC testing
- Functional Safety Management
* Conformant project planning
* Workflow definition and management
* Workflow tracking and enforcement
- Change control
* Access control
* Change tracking
* Reporting and paper trails
- Office automation
* Smart Word and Excel exports
* Collaborative task list facilities
* Document analysis scripts
* GUI design, review, analysis
* Software architecture design and appraisal
* New integrated tools
* Existing and own software
* All tiers
* Shared responsibility for all release cycle stages
* Fault, change request and roadmap development recording
* Investigation, code changes and testing
* Traceable management of source changes, nest notes and decisions to include in releases
* Largely automated issuing of software releases
* Assumed management of several IT systems
* Unix admin and backup scripting
* Integration of Windows and Linux workstations with Samba domain and file sharing servers
* Frameworks 2.0, 3.5 and 4.0
* C# 2.0 and 3.0
* Mono ports
* Profiling and memory leak hunting, esp. with WinDbg SOS
* Advanced serializable and weak-referencing data structures
* Aspect-oriented programming, reflection, custom attributes
* Code generation and in-process compilation
* Microsoft XML classes
* XPath 2.0
* XQuery 1.0
* XSLT 1.0
* XML Schemas
* * Definition and analysis
* * Extending and deriving from 3rd party schemas
* Extending advanced network graph algorithms
* Interfacing 3rd party systems
- IEC61131-3 Ladder Logic, Structured Text and Function Block Diagrams
- VBA Word and Excel
- Ruby, Python, Unix tools, bash, sed, awk, perl
Job Title: Analyst/Programmer
Description: Based in the Internal Systems and Customer Support department of this scientific software solutions provider, I maintained and enhanced internal business applications and utilities as well as customer systems under maintenance contracts. On both sides, I was involved in all aspects of the support process from call fielding and expectation management to scheduling, implementing and releasing improvements and new developments.
Customer systems included Oracle/Java/Struts enterprise applications such as a journal publishing system covering the whole journal production process, a flood forecasting system in use by the environment agencies of several countries including the UK and a network issue reporting and tracking system for a major backbone network provider. I had exposure to and training on the internals of the flagship digital archiving and preservation by migration system, SDB (www.digital-preservation.com), in preparation for the support phase of the project with The National Archives. It is a large, customisable, service oriented, .Net/C# system and a major new area in which Tessella is gaining recognition for its leading technical expertise.
- Software Development
* Tools and scripts
- Software Maintenance
* Internal finance, project management and archiving applications
* Customer enterprise, business workflow, online monitoring and digital preservation systems
- IT Administration
* Firewalls and VPNs
* Specialized remote access hardware
* Mail server maintenance and reimplementation
* - Redundancy and failover planning and implementation
* - Spam analysis integration and tuning
* - Virus detection
* - Log analysis and graphing
* - Achivement of high peak load tollerance
* Windows Server (multiple servers, mulitple domains)
* Intranet and customer web servers
* Version control (VSS, CVS, Subversion) servers
* Setup, backup and rebuilds
* Access control planning and management
- IT Analysis
* Performance and vulnerability analysis and monitoring
* Java language 1.4 and 5, and Scala
* Three tier, data/application/presentation, enterprise systems
* Enterprise JavaBeans
- Lotus Notes
* Formula Language
* Integration with external Oracle, Java and mail (SMTP and spam reporting) systems
* Web access to Lotus Domino systems, including hand-churned AJAX
* STL collections and algorithms
* C++0x and boost text processing, higher-order programming, signals and persistence libraries
* Advanced language feature and pattern knowlegde, such as virtual inheritance, variance, partial specialisation, smart pointers
* Experience with GNU (2.9.5 and modern) and Microsoft compilers
- .Net C#
- Unix tools, bash, sed, awk, perl
Field of Study: Computation
University / College: Oriel College, University of Oxford
Excellent work and quick reactivity
Would highly recommend
Did exactly as requested and used good common sense. Good code, much appreciated. Thanks
Excellent Communications from the start and job well done on a very challenging budget!
Working with David on my project has been very successful. My application had specific technical issues to overcome which I am pleased to say have been with David offering good solutions within my budget.
Excellent knowledge and proficiency.
Was able to do what was asked and went above and beyond to ensure it worked.
David is a great developer, he's reliable, straighforward and produced results promised.
A rare find in the sea of over promising, underdelivering developers.
Great developer, you won't be disappointed.
Many thanks David great work
Many thanks David great work
David is a clever and capable developer. His technical knowledge is very deep and broad and is familiar with many programming languages. David grasped the requirements quickly and delivered the work in a timely fashion and to a high quality. He sent regular emails to keep me informed of his progress and any issues that he came across. I would not hesitate to recommend David.
No result found