- London, GB
- £100 /hr
- Available now
I have many years experience of running marketing communications campaigns for marketing clients spanning large corporations, government and smaller enterprises. For the last 15more...I have many years experience of running marketing communications campaigns for marketing clients spanning large corporations, government and smaller enterprises. For the last 15 years I've handled budgets over £80 million and less than £20,000. I can work in all media and collaborate with a team of specialist freelancers and agencies to pull together exactly the right talent to make a job successful.
Area Covered: UK
Industry: Marketing and Advertising
Work Experience Summary: Current roles.
Managing Partner - The Contrast Agency
• Contrast is an “Impresario” agency bringing together expert specialists to solve marketing and advertising issues.
• Contrast started trading in November 2009 and has attracted The Rare Tea Company and two specialist software businesses as clients.
• By its nature, the agency can do anything. So far planning consultancy, two full websites, an exhibition, brochures, lots of video content and PR. There are five full timers and David’s role is in new business generation.
Managing Partner - TwentyFirstSentry Ltd
• TFS is a business created to bring a smart phone controlled portable wireless security system to market. David conceived the idea at Burnett’s and spent 2009 developing the concept. TFS have appointed an incubator to take the product to market.
Non Executive Director - MakeHappy
• MakeHappy is a new digital agency launching in March with founders from Leo Burnett and
Razorfish. David’s role is to provide advice on agency positioning and business development.
Leo Burnett London 2006-2009
Group Communications Director & Client Services Director
McDonald’s Restaurants Ltd
• Leading a team of over 40 at Leo Burnett and building the relationship with McDonald’s UK and Global and strongly influencing the business and marketing strategy. Devising the new architecture for McDonald’s high volume all-media integrated advertising campaigns - return on investment on advertising rose by 24% 2006 to 2008.
• Creating the conditions for a significant recovery in creative quality
• Leader of Leo Sport • the global consultancy advising McDonald’s and other clients on sponsorship
• Building Leo Burnett London revenues from the account by 50% and winning successive pitches to expand remit.
WCRS/ The Engine Group 2001-2005
Group Account Director & Partner
Camelot plc (2001 - 2004)
• Leading creation of an integrated brand strategy to enable the UK National Lottery to return to growth enabling the Lottery to recover its reputation and increasing participation.
• Influential in Camelot’s strategy development, new game design and with stakeholders e.g. fund distribution organisations and end-recipients. Responsible for agency effectiveness and accountability to the Camelot board and the regulator
Central Office of Information (2004 - 2005)
• Leading the “Stand by” team appointed by COI to respond to highly sensitive or fast turnaround briefs. Highly complex positioning and communications tasks, undertaken in complete secrecy for example preparing for Bird Flu pandemics.
Bulldog Broadband (2005) Mr Kipling (2005) Debenhams (2004)
• Leading two successful pitches in 2005 which both converted to case-study award winning campaigns and significant revenue contributions to Engine Group. Leading development of new campaign for Debenhams after the takeover by CVC Partners.
NetBenefit plc (now Group NBT) 2000 - 2001
Global Marketing Director & Head of Product Development
• Creating the products and positioning that enabled NetBenefit Group • a major UK B2B ISP, to survive the dotcom bust and turnaround.
Bates UK 1991 - 1999
Executive Director of Client Services
Halifax Building Society (1991-95)
• Turning the relationship around and creating the most successful financial services campaign of the decade, winning multiple effectiveness and creative awards.
Royal Mail (1996-1999)
• Transforming the client relationship and enabling the creation of award winning campaigns for social and business mail.
• Responsible for Group diversification - conceived and launched Bates Interactive in 1995 and Bates Widescreen in 1998
Allen Brady and Marsh 1986 - 1991
Board Account Director
ICI, Ever Ready, Conservative Party, Cussons, National Dairy Council, Imperial Tobacco
WCRS 1984 - 1986
Qantas Global, Sharwood’s, 3M Scotch Video
Fletcher Shelton Delaney 1982 - 1984
Panasonic, Wellcome Foundation, ICI, Seiko, IDV (Malibu, Piat d'Or)
Education Summary: EDUCATION
Exeter College, Oxford University MA (Hons) Politics, Philosophy, Economics
Oulder Hill School, Rochdale, Lancashire 4 A’ levels/10 O’ levels
In service training - negotiation & selling. NLP training. Planning skills development. Presentation skills. IPA level 7 (management). Business Development.
IPA Continuous Professional Development log available
Advertising and Communications Planner and Manager