- Ironbridge, GB
- £7 /hr
- Available now
An experienced manager of both large workforces and smaller technical groups with a track record of delivering objectives. Adept at dealing with senior figures in organisations,more...An experienced manager of both large workforces and smaller technical groups with a track record of delivering objectives. Adept at dealing with senior figures in organisations, trade unions and employees alike. A team player with significant experience and knowledge of Quality and Safety systems and a specialist in process improvement. Following semi-retirement, now seeking ad-hoc, part time or short contract work
Area Covered: South West
Company Name: David Hurst
Industry: Health & Safety
Work Experience Summary: Royal Mail Safety Development and Audit Manager 2001- July 2004
Responsible for the design and deployment of products to improve Safety performance and of the Royal Mail Safety audit process. Lead investigator for accidents involving serious or fatal injuries to Royal Mail employees and third parties.
• Post 9/11, worked collaboratively with government agencies to mitigate the impact of postal services being used for terrorist purposes, ensuring business continuity.
• Supported operational managers in Worcestershire dealing with a chemical release which caused damage to buildings and vehicles and ill health to employees. Arranged medical support and working with the legal team, pursued and obtained compensation for damage.
• Worked with the Health and Safety Executive in London identifying the scope for improvement in Safety performance in the capital. The project helped to refine some of the approaches used in Royal Mail in dealing with lack of legal compliance.
• Introduced professional networks of field Safety advisors to ensure consistency of approach and capture of good practice.
• Recruited, trained and developed a 10-person Safety audit team spread throughout the UK.
• Designed and deployed a 2 year Safety audit programme of operational activity which was completed with a 30% improvement in safety performance 2004 vs. 2002 and 100% customer satisfaction. Personally led over a third of the audits across the UK.
• Conceived and commissioned an intranet based Safety toolkit for operational managers, providing a single point of reference for all Safety issues and a source of good practice.
• In conjunction with a major international software provider, created e-learning based safety training courses ( Managing Safely and Persons in Control ) with a significant reduction in costs associated with travel and accommodation.
• Developed and personally delivered training courses for Safety managers including Safety auditing, accident investigation and process improvement.
• Designed and implemented risk assessment processes for high risk areas where pedestrians, mechanical handling equipment and vehicles interfaced.
• Developed approaches to manage stress in the workplace, assessing risks, identifying stressors and implementing controls.
• Redesigned the process for undertaking serious and fatal accident investigations. The revised process was commended by police authorities and a coroner and was company standard.
• Personally led a significant number of serious and fatal accident investigations, reporting findings and recommendations to the Royal Mail Management Board. Personally trained and mentored colleagues undertaking similar work.
Safety Manager, Royal Mail West Territory 1999-2001
• Competent person for Royal Mail in Wales, the West Country, Midlands and Southern Home Counties.
• Identified scope for concentration of Employer Liability case work from 4 sites to 1, creating a unified operation in Wolverhampton. Allied to a number of process improvements, the project made a significant financial saving and reduced the case backlog and process times involved.
Education Summary: Education
Wigan Grammar School 1965-1972 4 “ A “ levels, 6 “ O “ levels
Leeds University 1972-1974 Part 1 BA Hons French
NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health 2000 Pass certificate
HASTAM Safety Audit training 2002 Pass certificate
Apollo Root Cause analysis accident investigation training 2003 Pass certificate
NEBOSH Diploma Part 1 in Occupational Safety and Health 2003 Attended course