- Nottingham, GB
- £25 /hr
- Available now
Have you ever read something and then wondered what it said? Ever got to the end of a paragraph and had to go back and read it again? If this sounds like the kind of writing yourmore...Have you ever read something and then wondered what it said? Ever got to the end of a paragraph and had to go back and read it again? If this sounds like the kind of writing your business produces, I can help.
I'm Ali Marsland, a freelance writer, editor and proofreader. I help businesses communicate clearly by providing straightforward plain English writing and editing services. I specialise in turning \'management-speak\' into interesting, accessible copy for your staff, customers and the public.
Leaflets and letters for customers; newsletters for staff; press releases; case studies; annual reports - I can help create all these and more in simple, clear language that your target audience will understand and maybe even enjoy reading!
If you have ideas that need communicating in plain English, please get in touch. I can work from hard copy documents, emails or phone conversations, and then turn that information into newsletter articles, press releases, case studies, leaflets, brochures, annual reports or any other format.
Or I can take an existing document and weave my magic on it. I provide a full proofreading/editing service for any written document, from a staff newsletter article through to web pages, presentations, letters, annual reports, board papers and grant proposals.
Complete confidentiality is assured at all times.
Area Covered: East Midlands, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire
Work Experience Summary: Oct 2006 to date: Freelance communications manager working with various clients including:
• East Midlands Trains (via PR Principles): Provided cover for an internal communications manager role. Managed recognition schemes; produced staff newsletter; updated the intranet; provided internal communications advice and support to senior colleagues.
• Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust (three contracts): Developed a system for tracking around 700 patient information leaflets; edited and designed leaflets; project managed production of annual report, planning, writing and editing all content, sourcing photos, working with an external design company, organising Braille, easy-read, large-print, audio and multi-media formats, all to tight deadlines; organised meetings for local residents; produced bi-monthly staff magazine and weekly online staff newsletter; logged media coverage; updated the intranet and website.
• Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust: Edited/wrote articles and worked with local printers to produce the staff magazine.
• Linney Design, Mansfield: Wrote a number of features for Bupa’s international staff magazine and some articles for Eurostar’s staff magazine.
• Healthcare Commission (two contracts): Proactive and reactive media handling, internal and stakeholder communications for the Central and North regions leading up to and during the national announcement of the annual healthcheck results.
• Central Office of Information (previously Government News Network): Prepared case studies and press releases for: National College for School Leadership (NCSL), Learning and Skills Council (LSC), Train to Gain, UK Trade and Investment (UKTI), Natural England; logged media coverage for Ministry of Defence; prepared Highways Agency weekly activity report; provided media handling advice during an emergency planning exercise.
• Health Protection Agency: Proactive and reactive media handling.
• East Midlands Strategic Health Authority: General communications support: handling media enquiries; working on the annual report; updating the website.
• Nottingham City Council: Proactive and reactive media handling.
Sep 2005 • Sep 2006 Senior Communications Officer, NHS East Midlands:
Responsible for all internal and external communications via: writing and implementing strategies; proactive and reactive media handling; producing staff communications and corporate documents; monitoring use of corporate identity; maintaining and developing the website; advising senior directors. The role also included handling Freedom of Information requests, working closely with Government departments on ministerial briefings, and participating in emergency planning exercises.
Dec 2003 • Sep 2005 Communications Officer, Lincolnshire Partnership NHS Trust:
Responsible for all internal and external communications through activities as above. Also wrote and designed patient leaflets and organised trade stand at county show.
Apr 2002 • Nov 2003 Press & Public Relations Executive, Bower Parnham Stewart:
Planned and carried through press/PR campaigns for various clients; researched, wrote and distributed press releases and corporate newsletters; developed good contacts with trade media; organised an awards event and press conference.
Aug 1999 • Apr 2002 Editor of the staff newsletter, John Lewis Nottingham:
Supervised or carried out all aspects of creating and producing the weekly staff magazine: interviewed subjects; wrote features; edited copy; set out each page; organised printing.
Jul 1998 • Jul 1999 Freelance English Teacher, Khartoum, Sudan:
Lived and worked independently in Khartoum teaching a wide variety of ages and abilities all aspects of the English language.
Education Summary: 2006: Tee-line shorthand level 1 (New College Nottingham)
2003: Introduction to PR (Institute of Public Relations)
1998: BA (hons) 2:1 in Linguistics (Reading University)