- Kingston upon Thames, GB
- £20 /hr
- Available now
Database and XML transformation expert! I can scrape data from web sites and transform the data into any other format (HTML, XML, text, SQLdatabase) and/or put the data into amore...Database and XML transformation expert! I can scrape data from web sites and transform the data into any other format (HTML, XML, text, SQLdatabase) and/or put the data into a database format. I can also do database design and statistical analysis.
My skill set includes XSLT, XQuery, Unix shell scripting/programming (bash, sed, awk, wget, curl etc), SQL databases (MySQL, Postgres, Oracle), MS Access, Excel.
I am in full-time employment but available for freelance contracts working from home.
Area Covered: I work from home.
Work Experience Summary: Career History
May 2008–present: Collections Database Administrator, a major museum in London
* Maintain the Museum’s bespoke Index+ objects and images database.
* Set up user permissions, make recommendations for configurations.
* Perform regular and one-off statistical analyses of data.
* Perform bulk updates and data changes.
* Test database, report errors, fix them if possible or escalate to IT dept or database software company.
* Liaise with IT staff to facilitate changes to database structure and upgrades.
* Liaise with users (other Museum staff) to solve database problems.
* Document in-house procedures and technical aspects of database systems.
* Skills: Perl, XQuery, XSLT, IExe, Bash, Index+, Excel, software testing, technical documentation.
August 2004‒present: Freelance Technical Editor
* Working from home, editing technical and scientific papers for style and grammar.
* Skills: technical writing
January‒April 2005: Technical Writer
* Wrote and corrected user manuals
* Tested software applications
* Skills: technical writing, software testing
May 2002‒Jan 2004: Consultant
* Installed and managed the Oracle 8 database and IIS web server on which the software ran.
* Successfully ran several virtual conferences for an EU venture.
* Liaised with software users by telephone.
* Wrote user manuals and system documentation.
Jan 2002‒May 2002: Web Developer
* Wrote bespoke VBA applications.
Aug 2001‒Jan 2002: Contract Software Developer
* Wrote Access/VBA database applications on a consultancy basis.
* Skills: MS Access, VBA
Jan 2000‒Jul 2001: Software Developer
* Wrote, tested and documented a web-based virtual conferencing application, using Perl and PL/SQL, running on an Oracle 8 database.
* Maintained Oracle 8 databases.
* Supervised the running of virtual conferences.
* Wrote from scratch database-driven websites using Perl.
Oct 1997‒Jan 2000: IT Support Officer
* Managed a Windows NT network (25 workstations, 2 servers).
* First contact for all office IT queries and request.
* Installed and upgraded hardware and software.
* Maintained and managed client database written in MS Access.
* Migrated all company data to the same database system from various data sources.
* Wrote bespoke SQL queries.
* Wrote bespoke MS Access VBA applications.
* Designed databases.
* Liaised with external IT contractors.
* Wrote user and system documentation for software and IT procedures.
* Skills: Windows NT, MS Access, VBA, technical writing, database design, systems administration
Education Summary: Education and Training
2007: Oracle Certification
August 2007: Attended Oracle 10g Administration Workshop I. Working towards Oracle Certified Professional status
2007: University of Westminster: MPhil in Database Security
Extending my previous research work on data security models, such as RBAC, in DBMSs and XML.
2005‒2006: University of Westminster: MSc Advanced Information Technologies Using Oracle (Distinction).
* Dissertation: Security Mechanism for Medical Databases using Dynamic RBAC
* Designed a dynamic RBAC security model for a medical database using Prolog. Implemented the model in Oracle 10g, PostgreSQL and MySQL, using views, triggers, stored procedures (PL/SQL and similar) and meta-data. Analyzed the capabilities of each DBMS in implementing the model. This involved installing and administration of all three DBMSs on various Linux-based computers.
* My work in this project was assessed as "excellent".
* Skills/knowledge gained from taught component: SQL, PL/SQL, database design, relational logic, database performance tuning, backup & recovery, Java, XML, security models, ontologies, data warehousing, data mining, research
2002: Sun Certified Java Programmer
1993‒1997: Keele University: BSc (Hons) Degree (2:1) Computer Science
* Project: Evolutionary Computing Design System
* Designed and a program for evolving graphical shapes according to the principles of Evolutionary Computing, and implemented it in Tcl/Tk.
* Subsidiary Modules: Management Science, Mathematics (Advanced Calculus)
Secondary School Qualifications
* 1990-1992: 4 A Levels (including Mathematics)
* 1988-1990: 9 GCSEs at grade C or above (including Mathematics and English Language)
Great job, thanks!
great job good knowledge
Great, thank you !!
Thank you again, Alex, for a job well done.
No result found
No result found