- Rotherham, GB
- £7 /hr
- Available now
As an interaction designer and user experience consultant, my passion is to create the best experiences for users and my aim is to create genuinely world-class systems that aremore...As an interaction designer and user experience consultant, my passion is to create the best experiences for users and my aim is to create genuinely world-class systems that are so easy to use that people don't even notice them. To me, the truly great systems are those that do a ton of work behind the scenes so that users can take for granted that the designs are made for them.
I've been in this field for 11 years professionally and love it even when it gets tough. My career began with top-level research into search engine usability and experience followed by freelance and consultant work for a range of projects. I've worked in a number of countries for large and small organisations and consider the most challenging part of my job to be satisfying the diverse requirements necessary for modern projects. Negotiating the vision of a product or service along the path to its implementation while maintaining excellent user experience can be hard but rewarding when it gets to market.
Interaction design and user experience are cornerstones of strategy. Without recourse to paying customers, products have a hard job ahead of them to survive. Providing an effective user experience strategy (which is the entire organisation's responsibility, not just the designer's) is the bedrock of continued long-term success.
* Interaction Design
* Interface Testing
* User / customer Experience
* User / customer Research
* Observation studies
* Think aloud studies
* Statistics and research methods
* Solving very hard problems with minimal resources
* Working "smart" and getting things done
* Financial services
Area Covered: UNITED KINGDOM
Job Title: User experience consultant / interaction designer / information architect
Company: Thought Into Design
Description: Consultancy for user experience, service design, interaction design, information architecture, user interface design - all done to bring the best user experience.
Ford of Europe - motor manufacturer
Land Rover - motor manufacturer
Mumsnet - social networking
Assured - insurance brokers and financial advice
Green Door - real estate and mortgage brokers
LCP - Automotive components
Job Title: Interaction Designer and User Experience Consultant
Description: I work to make things work - to make products that are easy and pleasurable to use and to bring value to customers from the moment the begin using something to the moment they no longer need it. My role is to make sure that users' experience of things is as good as they expect if not better.
Job Title: Interaction designer
Company: Westpac NZ Ltd
Description: Working to create the best possible online experience for Westpac's new and existing customers.
* Participating in projects from kick-off through to implementation
* Contributing towards the vision document and business requirements
* Undertaking early-stage research to understand customers' conceptual / mental models of products
* Performing user testing of prototypes from paper / hand-drawn through to working models
* Analysing findings of research and testing and communicating them to project team members and stakeholders
* Crafting designs from low-fidelity (e.g., paper prototypes) through to high-fidelity and working mock-ups
* Negotiating design decisions past technical hurdles
* Ensuring that the designs had a general consensus among stakeholders before commitment
* Producing user requirements documents from research and early testing
* Producing detailed interaction documents from which designs were made
* Working on a range of projects from quick and short (2 months long) through to longer-term innovation projects
This was a fantastic role where I could really contribute value to Westpac by ensuring that we offered a user experience that bettered our competitors.
Job Title: Founder & interaction designer
Company: user: number 1
Description: Designing web and desktop applications with an eye to increasing value for users. This meant making things simple and cool and going a step beyond what users were used to.
Job Title: User research of e-learning software
Company: Department of Dermatology, Cardiff University School of Medicine
Description: Understanding the contributing towards the user experience of an e-learning system for postgraduate medical distance learning.
* Led research into current and past students user experience of collaborative learning environments among expert users
* Conducted studies including ethnography, content analysis, interviews, surveys
* Developed new methods of tackling difficult research questions
* Communicated findings to a range of audiences internationally in writing and orally
* Consulted with for research and testing methods appropriate to a range of research questions
* Published professional articles on e-learning experience
* Researched an international user-based (students came from around the world with 35-40% from Hong Kong)
* Got employer nominated for THES awards in 2006
This was a powerful position where I could consolidate my experience of research, testing and design to provide value to users. The e-learning course I worked on had a drop-out rate similar to face-to-face courses and there was significant evidence of collaborative learning.
Job Title: Founder, Chief Developer, Chief Designer, main programmer
Description: Design and development of a statistics program with a more usable interface, SalStat (similar to SPSS). Over 35,000 downloads have been achieved with very positive feedback from users who enjoyed the way it matched how they worked.
Job Title: Usability Consultant / Human Factors Engineer
Company: Independent Consulting
Description: Undertook consultant-level work for a range of projects including:
* Collaborative work software (general users)
* Workflow systems (general users)
* e-commerce shop-fronts (general users)
* Scientific software (expert users and students)
* Engineering software (expert users)
* Aircraft cockpit design (expert users)
These projects gave me a wide range of experience in completing real-world projects. The work mostly involved usability analysis and user research but also included a significant element of interface and interaction design.
Job Title: PhD candidate
Company: Cardiff University
Description: Investigated the user experience of web search engines. The research focused primarily upon how people located the information they wanted within information-impoverished environments but also included elements such as judgements of authority and trust of websites, natural language processing, information scent and information retrieval. The title was "Task-based Judgements of Search Engine Summaries, and Negative Information Scent". I was supervised by Steve Payne and examined by Andrew Howes and Alan Dix. My thesis was accepted in 2004.
Job Title: Administrative Officer
Company: Civil Service
Description: Administrative duties relating to the implementation of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and Radioactive Substances Act 1993.
Field of Study: Human-computer interaction (psychology)
University / College: Cardiff University / Prifysgol Caerdydd
Field of Study: Psychology
University / College: University of Bristol
Alan James S.