Lorien is a TOP CERT SEO content writer. Never too afraid to take on a challenge, Lorien is constantly expanding her skills to ensure she is seen as a leading and influential content writer.
Tell us a bit about yourself. How did you get into freelancing?
I started my career as a freelance copywriter in 2007, mainly to supplement my income. However, this quickly grew into a very rewarding career choice for me, and in 2009, I made the decision to leave the corporate world behind to work on my talent. I’ve since worked myself up to become a professional, full-time, copywriter and I truly love what I do. I specialize in SEO copywriting and content marketing, and work with clients all over the globe.
What was your previous job before deciding to go freelance?
I worked in a completely different field – finance and HR. I was employed as a bookkeeper in the fresh produce industry. I loved my work, but found that this career was more lucrative and fulfilling.
How did you come across PPH?
I decided it was time to look at freelance platforms that really worked. I wanted to fill my time by taking on more projects, and remembered that I read quite a lot of great reviews about PPH, so I searched for their website and started to read more about how the platform worked. It just appealed to me, and really seemed like a platform where great freelancers go to work.
What was your first job like on PPH?
It was great. It was a copywriting project, and the client was very friendly, responsive and prompt. My first project came just a short while after joining PPH which was quite impressive.
What is a typical day like for you?
I typically start by checking my inbox, answering messages and updating clients with my progress on their respective projects. I will always look for any suitable projects that are available on PPH, depending on my current workload. I then work on my active projects for most of the day, and have the ability to spend my afternoons with my children, which is the highlight of my day 🙂
How does freelancing compare to a 9-5?
It can never compare! Although it’s hard work at times, the freedom and flexibility that comes with working on your own schedule is a real blessing. You can really have the best of both worlds – spending more time with your family, while working with clients from all over the globe, doing what you love.
What benefits have you found by using PPH?
Connecting with new clients. I’ve only had good experiences working on the PPH platform, and it allows me to easily filter job postings, and apply for projects that I am interested in. It’s a great way to showcase your skills and to connect with clients who need your specific skill set.
What does your future hold? Where would you like to take this?
I’m constantly expanding my skills, building new client relationships and working with well-known brands. I would like to expand my network, earn even more referrals and be seen as a leading copywriter among current and future clients.
What are your top 5 tips for freelancers who are new to PPH?
My tips would be:
1. Spend time perfecting your profile. Realize that this is often the first impression that a potential client will get, so make it count.
2. Be honest about your experience. Even if you are fairly new to your specific category or skillset, add your experience, client projects, and work history. An honest, good profile will often attract more clients than one filled with flashy wording.
3. Update your portfolio regularly. Add recent working experiences and upload work examples.
4. Start by sending proposals to projects that you are comfortable with. Choose projects that you are confident you will be able to deliver according to expectations, and don’t enter a very low bid just to win the bid.
5. Keep on working! It may take a few days, or even weeks, for your first project to come through, but once you get going, you will love the platform, the clients, and the continues stream of work that is possible through PPH.
What are your top 5 writing tips?
As a writer, my tips would be:
1. Know your industry. Always stay ahead of the pack by keeping up with new trends, techniques and industry news.
2. Don’t be afraid to use your own ‘voice’. Clients often need a fresh perspective and you have your own unique style to offer.
3. Value your connections. In the world of digital marketing, a lot of your success is determined by referrals, and happy clients.
4. Don’t be afraid of a challenge. I’ve taken on many! Dive into a large project, explore a new writing style, and learn about a new industry. You will gain a lot of skills and knowledge.
5. Always, always give your best. You will be noticed and you will build up a solid portfolio and gain the respect of your fellow writers.
What web browser do you use?
If you were an animal, which one would you be and why?
Elephant. They are so mighty yet graceful, shows real emotion, and never forgets. Plus, they don’t have many natural enemies 🙂
What do you think of Lorien’s story? Please leave messages of support for Lorien in our comments box below!
If you’d like us to feature your story, please contact us at email@example.com.