I am a native English freelance technical author and writer of in-depth, well researched articles for numerous high profile websites and software comapnies across UK and Asia. In the past I have worked as a multimedia research scientist for British Telecom, as principe media streaming technologist for mobile network Three UK, and as the senior product manager for Vidiator (a Hong-Kong based video streaming company), where my role involved product management plus all the extras such as writing press releases, detailed white papers, user manuals, proof-reading and producing sales presentations.
I am based much of the year in Thailand (I speak English, and Thai moderately fluently) and have visited over 45 countries in the past 16 years. In 2010 I relocated to Thailand and took up several part-time writing positions focusing on entertaining travel-related articles (mainly about Thailand for a popular website), and other work writing technology-based white papers covering diverse topics such as HTML5 video, RTSP streaming, and video on Android devices. I consider myself to be a very capable writer with strong grammar skills, and an expert on many aspects of mobile device technology, especially related to multimedia formats.
Area Covered: Remote work and international
Industry: Information Technology
Summary: Website Content and Articles:
1) Daily informal technology blog on Gadgets4Everyone.co.uk
2) Contributor on ChrisWrites.com to create Max OS X tutorials
3) Contributor to Apple blogs on www.nettechblog.com
4) 80% of content on huahin.thaivisa.com (Hua Hin travel section on Thailand's leading expat website):
5) 100% of content on phuket.thaivisa.com (Phuket travel section on Thailand's leading expat website):
6) Technical Articles online and in print:
7) Contributor to Xilfee.eu:
Job Title: Portal Content Writer
Description: Created original destination guides and articles for Thaivisa.com, for Phuket and Hua Hin portals.
Job Title: Product Manager
Description: In 2007 I joined US company Vidiator as Senior Product Manager (based in UK) responsible for the flagship streaming media delivery solution known as Xenon. The role involved developing the product line and roadmap to support advanced streaming media services to all devices (mobile, PC, and TV) over wireless and ‘converged’ networks. This was mainly a product management position with very strong technical and customer-facing elements, and regular interaction with senior-level executives and board members. *I was also head of the Technical Publications team responsible for creating and maintaining all product documentation*
- All technical and commercial aspects of the Xenon product line
- Produce detailed product roadmaps and comprehensive plans for new releases
- Publish relevant white papers and write press articles
- Support the EMEA and APAC sales teams to win new business
- Manage the Technical Publications team with responsibility for all product documentation
- Product marketing, press releases, trade shows, and deliver sales-oriented training
- Conduct competitive analysis, and own all product and market requirements
- Produce detailed RFP and RFQ responses and collaborate on bids with the sales team
- Standards co-ordination, acting as the Vidiator representative at 3GPP meetings
- Delivered the new Xenon product line on time and budget, meeting customer requirements
- Played a key role to support Sales to win significant new business in EMEA region
- Helped transform Vidiator from a minor player into a profitable company
Job Title: Media Architect
Company: Three UK (3)
Description: In 2006 I took on a new role within the H3G Technical Solutions team to develop the end-to-end media delivery architecture, Mobile TV services and technical strategy for video products.
- Produce detailed ‘end-to-end’ architectures to support media delivery services
- Mobile TV and Media lead architect, technical lead on strategy and roadmap
- Provide expertise and consultation to the business and product teams, and vendor liaison
- Delivered service design for major upgrade to live TV streaming capabilities
- Delivered Sling-Box (home TV to mobile) service design (adopted by the ‘3’ mobile operators globally) and acted as global technical lead
Job Title: Media Technologist
Company: Three UK (3)
Description: In this role I was the principal streaming media expert within Hutchison 3G (the mobile and broadband operator known as Three in the UK) for their global operations (5 countries at launch in 2003). I played a major role in the launch of Europe’s first and largest commercial Third Generation (3G) mobile video streaming service.
- Technical strategy and roadmap for on-demand and live streaming services
- Handset and server interoperability tests and co-ordination
- Architectural design and implementation, and standards alignment (“3GPP” organisation)
2001 – 2003 (Technology Strategy Department)
- Design of the 3G streaming architecture to deliver advanced video services
- Vendor technical assessment and selection for third party streaming solution
- Managed streaming field trials projects, co-ordinated and conducted tests to improve quality
- Principle technical lead to launch the “Quickplay” streaming service in December 2003
- Delivered comprehensive specifications for video streaming for 2004 mobile handsets
2004 – 2005 (IT Development Department)
- Designed and implemented 3 UK’s updated live streaming architecture
- Delivered substantial stream quality improvements to over 25% customers
Job Title: Research Scientist
Company: British Telecom
Description: From 1996 I worked in the Advanced Perception group within BT’s Research Technologies. My role was to research and develop networked virtual environments and immersive display technologies to explore collaborative group working and interaction, and to submit related papers for peer review.
- Main computer programmer on joint projects with Telenor, Silicon Graphics and British Aerospace, to explore and demonstrate networked visualisation systems
- Management and operation of the “Vision Dome” (a 4-metre diameter hemispherical display) concept development environment
- Publish research into immersive displays, subjective tests and usability experiments
Job Title: Technical Writer
Company: Global Visual Communications
Description: Worked as a technical writer in a short-term contract, to complete detailed technology white papers and promotional web content for GVC company.
Job Title: Content Writer
Company: ACD IT
Description: 3 weeks of work creating original IT-oriented web content and sales material for acdIT.com, a software company based in Thailand.
Job Title: Editor and Proofreader
Company: Dash Cha-am Limited
Description: I edited and created user manuals for BlueboxPHP - a software product for creating e-commerce websites - as well as writing promotional editorials. I've also contributed content for Insight English which in part of the same group of companies.
Job Title: Director
Company: Roland Banks Limited
Description: Company director at my own consulting company.
Summary: I hold a BSc in Computer Science from Loughborough University (UK). I also studied towards an MSc in telecommunications whilst working at BT, but due to a job move was unable to complete the course (around 50% completed).
Field of Study: Computer Science
University / College: Loughborough University, UK