I am available for drafting legal documents, providing legal advice, legal research, legal writing work, debt recovery work and general research. I am available for one off jobs and ongoing contracts.
Area Covered: England and Wales
Company Name: Alex
Summary: For over 10 years I worked as a Senior Paralegal for 2 leading law firms, specialising in Commercial Litigation. During the last 4 years I have carried out locum work, run my own debt recovery business and worked as a free lance lawyer, legal writer and a researcher.
Description: free lance legal writer
Job Title: Freelance lawyer, writer and researcher
Description: May 2010 – Present
Work carried out has included:
• Preparing terms and conditions, privacy policies, supplier contracts, employment contracts and employment policies, copyright assignments, letters of claim, confidentiality agreements, and writer/ publisher agreements for various companies and individuals;
• Carrying out both legal and non-legal research;
• Writing a monthly newsletter on developments in employment law;
• Dealing with contract, intellectual property disputes and debt recovery matters for various companies and individuals;
• Writing legal articles for the website www.inbrief.co.uk on a variety of subjects including civil procedure, employment law, animals and the law, holiday law, consumer law, computers and the law, intellectual property law, family law, discrimination law and immigration (May 2010 - present);
• Writing a series of articles on wills and probate for the website www.makeawill.co.uk (November 2010 – present);
• Working as a researcher and writer for MBA Publishing Limited (the producers of The Times 100) (October 2010 – January 2011).
Job Title: Proprietor
Description: Having been approached by a large local logistics company I have been carrying out their and other companies debt recovery work since July 2008 with a high success rate of recoveries.
If I can help you with your debt recovery work please feel free to contact me or visit my website at www.commercial-debts.co.uk
Job Title: Locum lawyer
Company: Cramer Richards / Cohen Cramer
Description: Working as a Locum in the firms Commercial Litigation Department with a high quality case load. Handling mainly multi track cases involving contract claims worth up to £1,300,000. Dealing also with NHBC and construction claims, sports law, retention of title disputes and claims involving personal guarantees. Appearing at Court and before the Rugby Football League tribunal and dealing with injunctions and mediations. Also handling some intellectual property claims, employment disputes, insolvency and personal injury. Responsible for assisting in the development of a newly qualified solicitor.
Job Title: locum commercial litigation lawyer
Company: Newman & Bond Solicitors
Description: Working as a Locum in the firms Commercial Litigation and Property Litigation Department. Carrying out work that would normally be carried out by a solicitor with own case load. Handling residential and commercial property disputes, contract and consumer disputes, debt recovery work and some insolvency work. Also preparing predecents and procedural guides for the firm.
Job Title: Senior Paralegal
Company: Irwin Mitchell
Description: Working as a Senior Paralegal in the firms Commercial Litigation Department. Handling claims for breach of contract, defamation claims, residential property disputes. Acting for private individuals, legal expenses insurers, companies and government bodies.
Highlights of my career at Irwin Mitchell:
• Taking a test case to the Court of Appeal (Sheffield City Council v Emma Smart) - a case brought under the Human Rights Act which attracted widespread coverage in legal journals, local and national press.
• Receiving a Recognition Award for achieving a great result on a difficult boundary dispute - the clients wrote to me afterwards praising my “skill and unrelenting dedication” which, they said was, “a shimmering instrument of how a real legal case should be collated and consummately delivered”. The clients specifically asked that the IM “Senior Management” saw their letter.
• Awarded IM Business ”Employee of the Month” (the second time such an award had been made) for writing an article on The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations, which appeared in the local press. This combined with a mail shot I sent to employment agencies in the region, resulted in a number of new instructions for both my department and the firms Employment Department. Also for making a big contribution to the Risk Management mail shot (a series of briefing notes designed to help businesses avoid disputes and deal with them when they arise).
• Generating new work relating to non-PI holiday claims and attracting publicity in the local press with articles being published on the Aurora world cruise that didnt make it further than the Isle of Wight, on the impact of terrorism on holidays (on the back of the bombings at Sharm-al-Sheikh) and on my top 10 tips for holidaymakers.
• Bringing from Addleshaw Booth & Co the litigation work of a Plc / leading recruitment consultancy, who I subsequently cross referred to the firms Debt Recovery Department.
Job Title: Commercial Litigation Paralegal
Company: Booth & Co / Addleshaw Booth & Co
Description: Working as a Paralegal in the firms Corporate Department for the first 4 months and then in the Commercial Litigation Department with own case load and also assisting other members of the department on a variety of types of cases.
Highlight of my career at Addleshaw Booth & Co:
• Succeeding in a test case, which was subsequently reported in Current Law (Asda v Croke) and which is believed to be the first time a retailer has sued a shoplifter in the civil courts for trespass in the UK.
Summary: LLB (Hons) (law degree); Post Dip in Legal Practice
Degree: LLB (Hons) (law degree)
University / College: Sheffield Hallam University
Degree: Post Dip Legal Practice (legal practice course)
University / College: The University of Sheffield